Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4S in App purchase and we continually get "Could not connect to iTunes"

My son has an iPhone 4S we just setup. We got him and AppleID and put in the necessary credit card information. He is trying to make an in App purchase and we continually get "Could not connect to iTunes" as an error. It works from other iOS devices. We've done the trouble shooting listed online. We have another iPhone 4S with a different Applie ID that connects and bills just fine. The only difference I've noticed is that the other son's account shows our PC and both of his iOS devices listed as authorized devices for his account but this Apple ID doesn't like his phone as an authorized device. I don't know why when we've put in all of the info on the phone and it seems to be accepted ok.

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Jan 1, 2014 10:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2014 2:14 PM

We solved the problem - sort of. We did two things.

1) My son's appleid was entered into the phone and all of the information was right. However, I was playing with some of the sliders in the Apple id screen. I moved the music slider and a warning came up that another appleid was associated with this phone and that if I put a new one in, I would not be able to switch to a different id for 90 days. Why they have that rule, no idea but I don't care 'cause I don't plan to switch back and forth. I had two options. 1) cancel or 2) transfer. I selected transfer. In iTunes on my PC under the account summary, I could now see under the iCloud section that there was a mobile device now associated with his account.

BUT....After this, the in app purchase still didn't work.

2) As a last ditch attempt, we went into the iTunes store on the phone. Scrolled to the bottom and selected redeem. We got an iTunes gift card and entered it there. Now he can make purchases off of that card.

I believe however, if we wanted to make purchases via the credit card, it still wouldn't work.

When they work, they work nice but when they don't - colossal fail!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 1, 2014 2:14 PM in response to CmanCramer

We solved the problem - sort of. We did two things.

1) My son's appleid was entered into the phone and all of the information was right. However, I was playing with some of the sliders in the Apple id screen. I moved the music slider and a warning came up that another appleid was associated with this phone and that if I put a new one in, I would not be able to switch to a different id for 90 days. Why they have that rule, no idea but I don't care 'cause I don't plan to switch back and forth. I had two options. 1) cancel or 2) transfer. I selected transfer. In iTunes on my PC under the account summary, I could now see under the iCloud section that there was a mobile device now associated with his account.

BUT....After this, the in app purchase still didn't work.

2) As a last ditch attempt, we went into the iTunes store on the phone. Scrolled to the bottom and selected redeem. We got an iTunes gift card and entered it there. Now he can make purchases off of that card.

I believe however, if we wanted to make purchases via the credit card, it still wouldn't work.

When they work, they work nice but when they don't - colossal fail!

iPhone 4S in App purchase and we continually get "Could not connect to iTunes"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.