Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5c won't keep the right time

My iPhone 5c will not keep up with the time. I can reset it and it will show current time but then won't keep up and loses time again.

iPhone 5c, Won't keep the right time

Posted on Jan 1, 2014 10:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 23, 2017 8:33 AM

After over a year of this issue, I was finally able to debug the ios code for my iphone 5c. so here is what I did to fix it and so far (knock on wood) it has worked. In General Settings go to Date and time. Set for manual and change your time zone to UTC. Select the utc and you may notice that the time zone does not match for where your zone. Don't worry, when you go and set it to automatic, the iOS will automatically correct the time zone to follow the UTC for you cellular providers location. VOILA! it will now work with no issues. I highly recommend that Apple higher some new coders or at least send me a new phone for having to go through their lines of garbage and having to find the error in their crap. I mean since they are too busy designing garbage just to pump out dollars.

44 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 23, 2017 8:33 AM in response to JodiS84

After over a year of this issue, I was finally able to debug the ios code for my iphone 5c. so here is what I did to fix it and so far (knock on wood) it has worked. In General Settings go to Date and time. Set for manual and change your time zone to UTC. Select the utc and you may notice that the time zone does not match for where your zone. Don't worry, when you go and set it to automatic, the iOS will automatically correct the time zone to follow the UTC for you cellular providers location. VOILA! it will now work with no issues. I highly recommend that Apple higher some new coders or at least send me a new phone for having to go through their lines of garbage and having to find the error in their crap. I mean since they are too busy designing garbage just to pump out dollars.

Jun 28, 2017 6:48 AM in response to JodiS84

I have a theory! My phone had the same problems about a week after getting a new wallet style case WITH A small MAGNET in it. I tried many steps including a full restore to new iPhone with no luck.

After keeping my phone out of the case for about three days, it started getting better, and is now fine. I think the magnetic charge dissipated.

Good luck y'all

Jun 28, 2017 6:52 AM in response to Tim MacIntosh

Tim MacIntosh wrote:

I have a theory! My phone had the same problems about a week after getting a new wallet style case WITH A small MAGNET in it. I tried many steps including a full restore to new iPhone with no luck.

After keeping my phone out of the case for about three days, it started getting better, and is now fine. I think the magnetic charge dissipated.

1) The only thing a magnet such as the one in a case would have on a phone is to cause the compass to point in the wrong direction. 2) There is no such thing as a "magnetic charge". The effect of a magnet is a function of distance. Once you move the magnet away from the phone, the effect stops.

It's important to remember that correlation does not prove causality.

Jan 1, 2014 12:05 PM in response to JodiS84

That is slightly different from the iPhone losing time as originally described.

Was the backup for another iOS device transferred to the iPhone?

If no change after powering the iPhone off and on, try a reset which is similar to a computer restart and is done by pressing and holding the home button and the sleep/wake or on/off button simultaneously until you see the Apple logo and then release.

If no change after that, try restoring the iPhone with iTunes from the iPhone's backup. If no change after that, try restoring as a new iPhone or not from the backup.

If no change after the latter, call AppleCare or make an appointment at an Apple Store if there is one nearby.

May 4, 2015 10:19 AM in response to JodiS84

I've struggled with this problem for weeks and finally found a solution!

Start with

Settings > General > Date & Time > Set Automatically ON

once that's on,

Settings > Privacy > Location Services ON

Mine was already on, so I turned it off for a minute or two, turned it back on, and haven't had any problems since..

It's a strange problem, not sure why that works, but it does!

I was ready to throw my phone off a cliff and never look twice at apple again.

May 15, 2015 12:54 PM in response to graceculli

Same issues, phone won't keep time. It's also making imessage fail. I have reset my phone, totally wiped it and restored, I have tried turning off auto-lock, tried the above with time/location services. At this point, when I turn on the automatic time, it doesn't even make the time right!! So, maybe my time function is totally broken?

Why isn't Apple stepping up on this issue? I am seeing a lot of people with this issue, all on 5Cs and all with funky weird responses to what to do that make little sense.

iPhone 5c won't keep the right time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.