Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my snapshots.db growing out of control after installing Mavericks OS?

Ever since installing Mavericks OS a month ago my snapshots.db file has grown to 1.65 GB which I have come to realize is much bigger than it is susposed to be. Any ideas on how to delete it or get it back to a normal size?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 1, 2014 2:07 PM

7 replies

Jan 1, 2014 4:33 PM in response to Ldiller

Back up all data.

If you have more than one user account, you must be logged in as an administrator to carry out these instructions.

Please triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

sudo sqlite3 /v*/*/*/sn*.db "vacuum;"

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C.

Launch the Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the icon grid.

Paste into the Terminal window by pressing the key combination command-V. I've tested these instructions only with the Safari web browser. If you use another browser, you may have to press the return key after pasting. You'll be prompted for your login password. Nothing will be displayed when you type it. If you don’t have a login password, you’ll need to set one before you can run the command. You may get a one-time warning to be careful. Confirm. You don't need to post the warning.

If you see a message that your username "is not in the sudoers file," then you're not logged in as an administrator. Log in as one and start over.

The command may take a noticeable amount of time to run. Wait for a new line ending in a dollar sign (“$”) to appear below what you entered. You can then quit Terminal.

Jul 7, 2014 5:31 AM in response to angelofhistory

snapshots.db is a database that contains power usage stats. I think Link was issuing a command for it to be rebuilt. I'm not a SQL expert but I believe that is what the vacuum modifier does.

I have deleted the snapshots.db file, rebooted, and it was recreated. I find the whole power stats thing useless on my desktops and only marginally useful on my laptop.

Why is my snapshots.db growing out of control after installing Mavericks OS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.