Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth Static

I recently have been using my MacBook Pro to feed music via bluetooth to speaker using a bluetooth receiver which a friend had in his house.

I have the notebook located about 20 -25 feet from the receiver and have experienced connection problems and intermittent static in the music. We tried different receivers, checked the power supplies, rebooted my computer and still experienced problems. I was beginning to suspect that there was a problem with my MacBook when I read an article that spoke about interference from a person's body, and discovered that if I blocked the receiver (it's only about 2 inches long) that I could almost stop the signal by wrapping my hand around it.

I also discovered that if I put my had over the area of my MacBook where my power switch is located this also interfered with the signal. My conclusion is that the signal from bluetooth device on the Mac is located near the power switch and is very small in size so that just a small blockage (as provided by one's hand) can cause havoc with the signal.

I share this so that others who are haveing a similar problem can do their own experiments and possibly find ways to deal with it until Apple's engineers do something about the size and locatation of the bluetooth antennae in the MacBooks.

Has anyone else had similar problems or experiences?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jan 1, 2014 2:28 PM

1 reply

Apr 9, 2015 1:43 PM in response to jaxf

So I wanted to comment here, too.

I have several wireless bluetooth speakers and I get occasional static with my MacBookPro (OSX 10.10.2).

Every now and again, I experience static when using any of my bluetooth speakers - sometimes it is when music is playing or right after connecting/disconnecting. This doesn't happen when others use the bluetooth speakers with their computers. It is also only when I play the music through my iTunes......

So far it is only isolated with my computer and my bluetooth connection.

Suggestions? Tips? Should I report this to Apple support?

Bluetooth Static

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.