Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issues Partitioning Hard Drive

Before partitioning my hard drive, I deleted a whole lot of files from my hard drive (and yes, my trash is emptied!) Problem is, although my HD says it has 299 GB of free space on it, when I go to partition my hard drive on disc utility, it only allows me to parition 72 GB of my hard drive. Here's some screenshots for added clarity:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Anybody know why this is?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 1, 2014 3:52 PM

1 reply

Jan 1, 2014 4:00 PM in response to D_sheps

The 299 GB includes disk space that is inside the partition Macintosh HD.

Disk Utility is only able to use the 72.24 GB available on that disk that is not included in Macintosh HD.

If you want to use more the the 72.24 GB, you are going to have to start all over again with the partitioning. This will mean booting from another disk and backup up all the data that is currently on the partition, Macintosh HD.

Then you can create two partitions of whatever size you wish.

After that you can restore the data from the backup.

Allan

Issues Partitioning Hard Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.