Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where can I get a clear explanation of how to use tags?

Where can I get a clear explanation as to how to use tags? I have a MacBook Pro and OS X Mavericks and am finding it impossible to use this feature? Am I alone here?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 1, 2014 4:12 PM

12 replies

Jan 1, 2014 4:29 PM in response to Robert 8

"Tag" files with whatever keywords suit.

Search for the Tags using Spotlight, Finder, or just select a Tag in the sidebar to show all files that have been Tagged with that particular Tag.

You can also Arrange the Finder window by Tags.

So, you could set up Tags for each project you work on, and Tags for each phase of the projects, and Tags for each Employee.

Jan 1, 2014 4:44 PM in response to Barney-15E

The primary difference between the old labels and the new tags is that you can put multiple tags on the same file. So a file can exist in multiple tag lists.

For example, if you were tagging your pictures, you do not need to decide if the picture if "Family" vs "Vacation". It can be both, as well as "Spouse", "Child", "Wild Life", etc... if the picture contained all those elements in the shot.

Or if you tag your ebooks, you can have "Biography", "Read", "Great", or "Fantasy", "Unread", etc...

Then using the Finder, you can open a Smart Folder of just a select tags.

Jan 1, 2014 5:00 PM in response to Robert 8

You can add tags when you save a file, or you can add them after the fact with the Tag button in the toolbar.

You don't need to create Tags before using them. You can just type what you want to use and it gets created.

In the below image, you can either select one of the already created tags listed at the bottom, or type a new one in the field at the top. If you type one that already exists, it matches that and sets that tag. You can also add more than one tag in that list.

User uploaded file

Jan 1, 2014 5:35 PM in response to BobHarris

I originally wanted to find a way to quickly locate files, videos, etc. in Finder. Now it is a pain in the *** since I could never remember every title that I assigned to a file. Enter OS X Mavericks and Tags and it appeared that my problem was solved. Not so fast. I am struggling just to begin the process.

At this point I may just forget about tags. At least for awhile. The strange thing is that this is the first problem that I have encountered with the computer that I couldn't solve myself.

Thanks again but I think I am going to leave this alone for now.

Where can I get a clear explanation of how to use tags?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.