Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Perian, Wondershare Player and MKV Files

Hi All,

I have some MKV files in my mac and when I start to see a movie, everything is ok, but after some seconds the movies stopped.

I read some pages on web and in some communities about Perian, but after read them I concluded that the problem isn't Perian.

So I downloaded other Player - Wondershare Player - and try to see same movies. The problem continues and I don't have any idea how to fix it.

You guys have some idea how to fix it?

Tks,

Marcos Lopes.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jan 1, 2014 5:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2014 9:23 AM

If other players have the same problem, then I have to suspect a damaged/corrupted file. You might, however, try one of the video converters and try converting the MKV to another format and see if that would then work. If the conversion also fails, then you most probably do indeed have corrupted files and will need to try to obtain new copies.

Regards.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 2, 2014 9:23 AM in response to Marcos1974

If other players have the same problem, then I have to suspect a damaged/corrupted file. You might, however, try one of the video converters and try converting the MKV to another format and see if that would then work. If the conversion also fails, then you most probably do indeed have corrupted files and will need to try to obtain new copies.

Regards.

Jan 6, 2014 8:32 AM in response to Marcos1974

It could be a 'difficult' form of Matroska file. FYI Matroska is just a container like MOV or AVI, and some mkv have the video encoded with Real Video Codec (RV9 RV10). Perian+QT can't decode this, but VLC will play .mkv files just fine on OS X, as long as they don't use H.264!

It's a bit of a lottery until Matroska decide to support the Apple platform. I have found this:

http://mkv4mac.free.fr/index.php?lang=en&p=lec

which may help.

But there may be another workaround: 1. Get Info the mkv file

2. Change to extension to wmv. Save as wmv and that could work better.

Recently, a poster (ZachP14) suggested this:

"There's a program called Plex that runs .mkv files awesome on my 2.0 ghz macbook."

http://www.plexapp.com/

Maybe worth a try?

More information here:

ttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matroska

Perian, Wondershare Player and MKV Files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.