Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I change my Search Engine back to Google? It keeps using "installmac" instead.

Somehow I've probably gotten some sort of adware or malware or whatever, and I have this thing called installmac on my computer. Every time I go to search something up in my bar, it redirects to installmac something or another, and then goes through bing. Its obviously something messing with my computer and I really want it out. I don't know much about computers at all but I know thats not a good thing to have up there.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 1, 2014 6:21 PM

2 replies

Jan 2, 2014 6:43 AM in response to Tiffany Ireland

InstallMac is adware that is powered by the Genieo adware engine. You most likely got "infected" with this by downloading something from Softonic. See:

Continue to boycott Softonic

For removal instructions, see the Genieo removal section of my Adware Removal Guide.

Note that the link Mike has given you recommends using the uninstaller... however, the uninstaller has been known for some time to leave components behind, so I don't recommend using it.

How do I change my Search Engine back to Google? It keeps using "installmac" instead.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.