Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Major hard drive problems.

I'm currently on a late 2012 MBP running on lion 10.8, but last Thursday, I manually rebooted my computer because it was running slowly and constantly had spinning beach balls, which I've done all the time. When I tried to restart it though, it wouldn't get past the grey screen. I tried a safe reboot, which wouldn't work either. Eventually I got it into recovery mode and checked everything and was told I had irrepairable problems on my hard drive, and was told to back up as much as possible before reformat. It's not even that I had much on my HD, because there were over 300GB of space left, but I wiped my hard drive and reinstalled lion and everything seemed to be working again. The same thing happened again on Sunday, at which point the HD was said to have irrepairable problems again, I wiped the hard drive again, and reinstalled Lion. Today, it happened again, and when I was working the same thing again, my hard drive partioned. Now instead of saying 'Macintosh HD', it's labeled as 'disk0s2'. I tried reinstalling Lion, but I don't think it worked. During startup, the grey screen flashes back and forth between an apple and the no symbol and just brings me back to the recovery screen. Do I need to unpartition my hard drive, or is it more than that?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jan 1, 2014 6:24 PM

2 replies

Jan 1, 2014 6:45 PM in response to mdoyle16

Hi m,

The fact that you keep getting "irrepairable" error messages points to a hardware issue with your HD. Even though it's only a year old, some die early, some average and some live to old age. It may be only a sector or two, which may be why it worked after a few reinstalls, but HD hardware issues cannot be fixed. I would replace it.

Major hard drive problems.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.