Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad 1 5.1.1 older version apps

Hello to any who could answer a question I have. I have an iPad 1 on 5.1.1 firm. Is there anyway to download earlier versions of apps that are compatible with my firm ware, for what its worth I would think that there would be a way after all the money I've spent haha. I was sure there was an older version of garage band that I was hoping to see or get amongst other things. Any help would be greatly appreciated thankx

iPad, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Jan 1, 2014 7:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2014 8:19 PM

I don't have an iPad 1 but I do have an iPhone on 5.1.1 and I am able to get most Apps from the App Store. A couple of months ago Apple did something nice and allow users with legacy iDevices to allow the last compatible version with your iOS. It will just say that you will get an older version of it. I downloaded Garageband when it became free awhile ago and it worked. That was 2 months or so ago.

Which app are you looking for to work on your ipad? As time goes by less apps support this iOS I would suggest going to the App Store and try downloading as many as you can before developers force you to have ios 7.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 1, 2014 8:19 PM in response to Kumasi28

I don't have an iPad 1 but I do have an iPhone on 5.1.1 and I am able to get most Apps from the App Store. A couple of months ago Apple did something nice and allow users with legacy iDevices to allow the last compatible version with your iOS. It will just say that you will get an older version of it. I downloaded Garageband when it became free awhile ago and it worked. That was 2 months or so ago.

Which app are you looking for to work on your ipad? As time goes by less apps support this iOS I would suggest going to the App Store and try downloading as many as you can before developers force you to have ios 7.

May 7, 2014 5:25 AM in response to Kumasi28

Sadly it looks like they disabled it again. I can't help but wonder why apple likes to shoot itself in the foot. I mean, I have a perfectly good working ipad 1 and iphone 3gs, but can't get apps for them because all the ones in the app store require higher operating systems, and there's no option to download an earlier version on their web pages. I've spent an hour now, googling where to find old versions of apps, but with no luck. C'mon, apple, if you're trying to get me to buy a new device from you, inferring that it will only work for a few years before you make it unusable isn't the way to do it.

iPad 1 5.1.1 older version apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.