Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My messaging app on my OS X Mavericks is disconnected from my iPhone number. It now sends messages via my email. How do I switch it back?

I had to reset my password through my phone in order to download an app since I forgot my password. But now when I go to message other iPhones through the messaging app on my MacBook Pro, it sends them via my email. I thought I reconencted my account and phone and computer when I logged into my computer and it prompted me to. What's happening? How do I change it back to sending messages with my phone number?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Jan 1, 2014 7:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2014 2:00 PM

Hi,

In Messages > Preferences > Accounts and th iMessages account (on the Mac) you should see the options for Receive At.

IS the iPhone Number one of these ?

Is it ticked to be Enabled ?

You can also set Send From at the drop down at the bottom (when you have twor choices or more in the Receive At list).

IF the iPhone Number is missing check the iPhone > Settings > Messages.

Does this list the Apple ID ?

Is it an Enabled option to Send and Receive messages ?

If it is not there or not enabled (or Enabling it does not achieve anything) then Remove the Apple ID.

Place the iPhone in Airplane mode for a few minutes (Break with all the servers)

On returning to the Messages Settings check the iPhone number appears to be Enabled (it will be greyed out as a choice you can change)

Add back the Apple ID.

Restart the mac Version.

Accept the pop ups that tell you the iPhone is using it's Number and the Apple ID

User uploaded file

10:00 pm Thursday; January 2, 2014

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 2, 2014 2:00 PM in response to Elle Lyons

Hi,

In Messages > Preferences > Accounts and th iMessages account (on the Mac) you should see the options for Receive At.

IS the iPhone Number one of these ?

Is it ticked to be Enabled ?

You can also set Send From at the drop down at the bottom (when you have twor choices or more in the Receive At list).

IF the iPhone Number is missing check the iPhone > Settings > Messages.

Does this list the Apple ID ?

Is it an Enabled option to Send and Receive messages ?

If it is not there or not enabled (or Enabling it does not achieve anything) then Remove the Apple ID.

Place the iPhone in Airplane mode for a few minutes (Break with all the servers)

On returning to the Messages Settings check the iPhone number appears to be Enabled (it will be greyed out as a choice you can change)

Add back the Apple ID.

Restart the mac Version.

Accept the pop ups that tell you the iPhone is using it's Number and the Apple ID

User uploaded file

10:00 pm Thursday; January 2, 2014

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

My messaging app on my OS X Mavericks is disconnected from my iPhone number. It now sends messages via my email. How do I switch it back?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.