Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Assign all pics in a project to same place

I have 42 pics in a Project and only one of those has GPS metadata because it was shot with an iPhone; the others were not. Since all pics are from the same exact location, how do I assign all pics to that one known GPS place?

Thanks, Robb

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Jan 1, 2014 8:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2014 9:03 PM

Within the project, select the iPhone photo then switch to Places view. The iPhone photo should show with a Pin and the location show where it was taken.

Press SHIFT + CMD + C to copy the data from the iPhone Pic (tick only the GPS coords) then select all the other photos (CMD + R to invert the selection) and click Stamp selected images.

Andy

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 1, 2014 9:03 PM in response to NN2RL

Within the project, select the iPhone photo then switch to Places view. The iPhone photo should show with a Pin and the location show where it was taken.

Press SHIFT + CMD + C to copy the data from the iPhone Pic (tick only the GPS coords) then select all the other photos (CMD + R to invert the selection) and click Stamp selected images.

Andy

Jan 1, 2014 11:54 PM in response to NN2RL

Or - alternately - simply drag and drop the photos to the pin on the "places" map.

• Switch to "Places" view, like Andy recommended.
  • Select all images that need the location assigned, and drag them to the map. They will show a red pin and transparent thumnail of the photos. Drag this pin directly to the red pin of the iPhone photo. This will transfer the GPS coordinates. You do not need to lift and stamp the coordinates, unless you want to transfer additional metadata or adjustments at the same time.

User uploaded file

Jan 2, 2014 12:42 AM in response to léonie

Hi LĂ©onie, Happy New Year.

The problem with dragging, is unless you are very precise where you drop, it actually creates a second location for the dragged photos.

You don't see this at the standard zoom level:

User uploaded file

But when you zoom in by double-clicking the pin you see the error:

User uploaded file

It doesn't make much of a difference in normal use, but I've seen the occasisonal slideshow glitch (using the travel theme) which I think were caused by this.

Best Regards,

Andy

Jan 2, 2014 3:06 AM in response to Najinsky

It doesn't make much of a difference in normal use, but I've seen the occasisonal slideshow glitch (using the travel theme) which I think were caused by this.

Right, you have to watch out for the counter on the Places label "xx of yyy photos" to increment, after you drop the pin. Otherwise you have to shift the pin a little.

It is a trade-off, what is more work - placing the pin precisely or changing the settings in the Lift&Stamp HUD,

When an image has many adjustment and tags applied, it is equally risky to lift and stamp; I have seen many cases when the OPs transferred and stamped everything but the GPS coordinates. The GPS data are the only option, that is disabled by default, but all adjustments and other metadata tags are enabled, and it is really easy to kill several hours's work of carefully tagging and adjusting by one single lift and stamp. And in Places view you will not notice this immediately, because the browser will show the map and not the metadata.

Jan 2, 2014 3:25 AM in response to léonie

The above two screenshots are of the same images, just different zoom levels. At the normal level of detail, it shows 3 for the counter. But zoom in further, and that's when it shows it's actually 2 slightly different locations, one with 1 and one with 2 images. Essentially, the pins merge together based on the zoom level (which is actually a neat feature) but the problem is when you drag the images at the default zoom level, the counter increases as expected and you think you got it right, but to double check, you have to zoom in further and only then do you see you actually assigned a slightly different location.

But I hear what you are saying about the possible dangers of lift and stamp.

Andy

Jan 2, 2014 4:29 AM in response to NN2RL

You can copy&paste locations like this:

- select the image with the correct coordinates

- Cmd-Shift-C brings up a dialog "extract & apply" (? mine is German)

- select GPS coordinates only

- select all other images and apply the GPS location

PS: But I agree, the pins in the map should somehow "snap" to existing pins when you drag over them to give them the exact same location.

Jan 2, 2014 5:19 AM in response to Najinsky

but I've seen the occasisonal slideshow glitch (using the travel theme) which I think were caused by this.

I gave up on the Travel theme for slideshows. The default settings are just too distracting. My audience always complained that they wanted to see the photos and not animated maps. Even Ken Burns is making them seasick, or so they keep saying. So I had to fall back on the Classic theme and trying to catch their attention by only using my most spectacular photos 😁

Jan 2, 2014 6:15 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

Frank,

NN2RL wants to use the GPS location of the reference photo taken with the iPhone, not a predefined place:

Since all pics are from the same exact location, how do I assign all pics to that one known GPS place?

Your method is perfect, but the place would first have to be created from the GPS position.

User uploaded file

I usually do it like this, if I want a named place from a reference photo:

• Ctrl-Click directly below the pin to bring up the "New Place" option,
  • then name the Place and use it from the panel you have shown.

Or if the Place already has a name, you could use "Assign Photos" from the same pop-uo menu shown above.

Jan 2, 2014 6:54 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

if the reference photo was imported into Aperture its location will have been placed, no?

😁 Sort of, the place will be the closest named place in the database - when I import geocoded photos from my Antartica trip, Aperture's place label will be "South Atlantic Ocean" - they will show the correct position on the map, because they have GPS, but I cannot use the place "South Atlantic Ocean" to add more photos to the same place. If markers in the vicinity are missing in the predefined Places lists, I have to create my own.

This is a problem, if you are in areas, where the maps are poor and. Apple's map are not very detailed in the national parks or off the roads. And the Places database has many places in the cities, but not so many in the rural areas or the wilderness.

User uploaded file

Assign all pics in a project to same place

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.