Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

GPU Panic on Mac Book Pro 15 Inch Mid 2010 will apple fix this for free?

Hello, I bought the Mac Book Pro 15 inch out of service coverage and i got GPU Panic. Will apple service center will fix this for free or with charge?

If yes how much and where i can go to fix it?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Jan 1, 2014 10:15 PM

3 replies

Jan 1, 2014 10:22 PM in response to wuxuyu

Welcome to Apple Support Communities

See > http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4088

This is a known issue, and Apple is repairing all affected MacBooks Pro for free if they were purchased less than 3 years ago, so make a backup of your files with Time Machine and take the Mac to an Apple Store or reseller.

If you purchased your MacBook Pro more than 3 years ago, I still recommend you to take it in. Some users have had their MacBooks Pro repaired for free even if they were purchased their MacBooks Pro more than 3 years ago.

Dec 4, 2014 12:11 PM in response to mende1

Hi. I've got a macbook pro mid 2010, affected by this issue. After a long search, i thin i found a workaround to avoid pay a lot of money for an old laptop repair (no warranty).

This issue is avoid the mac to use the nvidia chip, yes i know, you lost this funcionallity, but u get one stable equipment.

As super user (sudo su -) go to /System/Library/Extensions

Move the files/directories named NV*.kext and GeForce*.kext to a new backup directory.

Reboot the system.

in my case me laptop doesn't reboot or GPU panic for 5 days.

I hope this help others.

Good luck frm Spain.

GPU Panic on Mac Book Pro 15 Inch Mid 2010 will apple fix this for free?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.