Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After updating to 10.9.1, mails (for exchange) in subfolder are gone

Hi everybody

I just updated to 10.9.1 and now the mails in the subfolder of an exchange account are not shown anymore. They are stil available on the iphone and the sever, but the subfolders in apple mail are empty. I already re-installed the account, but it didn't work. Mails in the highest folder level (or inbox) are still there. Furthermore, If I check the account information, it counts the right number of mails.

Any ideas how I can fix this? Best would be to undo the update. Really anyoing if something doesn't work anymore after an update...

Thanks

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 2, 2014 1:08 AM

12 replies

Jan 2, 2014 5:26 AM in response to Capt'n Snug

Quit Mail. Force quit if necessary.

Back up all data. That means you know you can restore the Mail database, no matter what happens.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

~/Library/Mail/V2/MailData

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder

from the menu bar. Paste into the box that opens (command-V), then press return.

A folder window will open. Inside it there should be files with names as follows:

• Envelope Index
  • ExternalUpdates.storedata

Move those files to the Desktop, leaving the window open. Other files in the folder may have longer names that begin as above. Move those files, if any, to the Trash.

Log out and log back in. Relaunch Mail. It should prompt you to re-import your messages. You may get a warning that the index is damaged and that Mail has to quit. Click OK. Warning: The process may take hours if you have gigantic mailboxes. For reasonable-sized mailboxes, it should only take a few minutes.

Test. If Mail now works as expected, you can delete the files you moved to the Desktop. Otherwise, post your results.

Jan 2, 2014 5:55 AM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks for your reply

Unfortunately, it didn't work. Actually, it went worse... 😕 Before, I still had some mails in the inbox (all which I did't moved to a specific subfolder). Now, there are only the newest five mails there, the rest is gone as well...

I got the problem with showing no mails in the subfolders already before the update sometimes, but usually a relaunch of mail solved that problem.

Jan 2, 2014 9:36 AM in response to Capt'n Snug

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It won’t solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

The purpose of this test is to determine whether the problem is localized to your user account. Enable guest logins* and log in as Guest. Don't use the Safari-only “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac.”

While logged in as Guest, you won’t have access to any of your personal files or settings. Applications will behave as if you were running them for the first time. Don’t be alarmed by this; it’s normal. If you need any passwords or other personal data in order to complete the test, memorize, print, or write them down before you begin.

Test while logged in as Guest. Same problem?

After testing, log out of the guest account and, in your own account, disable it if you wish. Any files you created in the guest account will be deleted automatically when you log out of it.

*Note: If you’ve activated “Find My Mac” or FileVault in OS X 10.7 or later, then you can’t enable the Guest account. The "Guest User" login created by "Find My Mac" is not the same. Create a new account in which to test, and delete it, including its home folder, after testing.

Jan 2, 2014 12:13 PM in response to jackm831

No, I don't use two step verification. And yes, I get the mail on the website as well as on my Iphone. I also tried to send a new mail with my exchange account (from the mail application, not from the website) and it worked as well. It even shows the mail in the sent-folder (although it's the only one...), vice versa works as well (a new mail sent to the exchange account is loaded in the mail application, but not the existing ones)

Jan 2, 2014 12:24 PM in response to Capt'n Snug

Back up all data.

Select all your mailboxes, and then select

Mailbox ▹ Export Mailbox...

from the Mail menu bar. Export the mailboxes to the Desktop folder.

Make a note of the settings for all your Mail accounts – everything you'd need to reconstruct the settings from scratch.

Quit Mail. Then select

 ▹ Force Quit...

from the menu bar. A small window will open with a list of running applications. Mail may appear in that list, even though you quit it. If so, select it and press return. Close the window.

In the Finder, hold down the option key and select

Go ▹ Library

from the menu bar. Move the following items from the folder that opens to the Trash (some may not exist):

• Caches/com.apple.mail
  • Saved Application State/com.apple.mail.savedState

Leave the Finder window open for now.

Relaunch Mail and test. If the problem is solved, you’re done. Delete the exported mailboxes. Otherwise, quit Mail and move these items, if they exist, from the open Library folder to the Desktop:

• Application Support/AddressBook/MailRecents-v4.abcdmr
  • Containers/com.apple.mail
  • Mail
  • Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist (OS X 10.7 only)
  • Preferences/com.apple.mail.searchhistory.plist (OS X 10.7 only)

Note: you are not moving the Mail application. You’re moving a folder named “Mail.”

Log out and log back in. Launch Mail. It will behave as if you were setting it up for the first time. Go through the setup process with one of your accounts, using the information you noted earlier. Test. Same problem?

If there’s no improvement, quit Mail again and put back the items you moved to the Desktop, replacing any newer ones that may have been created in their place. You don’t need to replace the items you moved to the Trash.

If the issue is resolved, recreate the rest of your Mail settings, then import the mailboxes you exported:

File ▹ Import Mailbox...

After importing, test. If Mail is still working, delete the items on the Desktop and close the Finder window.

Jan 6, 2014 11:27 AM in response to Capt'n Snug

I am having some issues as well. After updating to 10.9.1 None of my mail accounts can connect. When I open connection doctor it says:

"Could not connect to this iCloud IMAP server. Check your network connection and that you entered the correct information in teh Accounts preferences. Also verfiy that your server supports SSL. If it does not, deselect "Use SSl" checkbox in the advanced tab of Account preferences."

All of the accounts worked fine BEFORE i updated. Also, iMessage accounts can no longer connect either.

When i check SOftware update it says it installed 10.9.1 OSX update TWICE yesterday. My guess is that is the culprit. I tried resetting mail like suggested above, but still no connection.

Is there any way to un-instal an OSX update or to install a previous version? Unfortunately i do not have a system backup....

After updating to 10.9.1, mails (for exchange) in subfolder are gone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.