Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Japanese Keyboard Kana mode: How to add ten-ten and maru to Hiragana characters, and Katakana Characters?

I am using the external Japanese keyboard with my MacPro, which has an US internal keyboard.

I selected the Kana "Typing method" in the System Preferences.../Keyboard/Input Sources/Kotoeri/

so I am using the native Kana mode, for example if I type the key 'Q' the Hiragana character 'た' will be entered.

1) Now I would like to enter the additional ten-ten { "" } or maru { 。} symbols to an Hiragana charcter:

- For example for は (ha), I would like to chnge to ば (ba) or ぱ (pa).

So far I have not been able to find how to add ten-ten { "" } or maru { 。} symbols,

so I am using the "Japanese Kana Palette" to enter such symbols, but this is not very practical...

2) I would like also to enter the Katakana character while my external keyboard is set in Kana "Typing method"

- For example if I type the key 'Q' the Katakana character should be 'タ' instead of the Hiragana character 'た'.

There must be an easy way to switch between Hiragana and Katakana but I haven't been able to find how...

Note: When selecting the Romaji "Typing method", I just needed to press the [shift] key,

but this is not working under the Kana "Typing method"

Thank you for your help.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), HDD: [ SSD 500MB & eSata 750MB ]

Posted on Jan 2, 2014 4:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2014 5:37 AM

1) Those signs are on the = and [ keys on a US layout I think.

6 replies

Jan 2, 2014 6:17 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

>> 1) Those signs are on the = and [ keys on a US layout I think.

Thank you, in fact after entering 'は' (ha),

- clicking on the '@' changes to 'ば' (ba) and

- clicking on the '[' changes to 'ぱ' (pa).

Note: This was not very clear when looking at the keyboards keys

but now I can see it very clearly the picture of the keyboard,

just below the へ and the ー keys (see picture)

User uploaded file

Japanese Keyboard Kana mode: How to add ten-ten and maru to Hiragana characters, and Katakana Characters?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.