Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hooking up iMac G5 (2005) to hdmi

I have an old iMac G5 (2005) that has been sitting in the basement for years and so I thought I would put it to good use. I want to hook up an hdmi (ultimately to hdmi mini) to the computer. I'm planing on using it as a spare monitor for when i do video shoots. It will have a live feed to it. So what adaptor do i need to go from HDMI Mini to the iMac? Thanks!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jan 2, 2014 7:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2014 9:06 AM

Unfortunately the best resolution you'll get out of the iMac G5 is 720 x 480 capturing Firewire as VGA signal with an Elgato adapter. There are no HD capture options that I'm aware of that will let you view the Mac Mini on the iMac. It wasn't until the Intel iMac you had DVI video capability. And VNC only works well between Macs of the same CPU architecture. G5s are Motorola/IBM, whereas, all the newer Macs are Intel architecture. Now one possibility, is to do a screen sharing over iChat, but that would be very slow.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 2, 2014 9:06 AM in response to Macasourous

Unfortunately the best resolution you'll get out of the iMac G5 is 720 x 480 capturing Firewire as VGA signal with an Elgato adapter. There are no HD capture options that I'm aware of that will let you view the Mac Mini on the iMac. It wasn't until the Intel iMac you had DVI video capability. And VNC only works well between Macs of the same CPU architecture. G5s are Motorola/IBM, whereas, all the newer Macs are Intel architecture. Now one possibility, is to do a screen sharing over iChat, but that would be very slow.

Jan 2, 2014 9:11 AM in response to a brody

Thanks a brody, I am not planing on recording on the mac so it's okay to have a poor resolution. It is just to see an image of what the camera is shooting. My camera is picking up the video recoring on a 64 gb sd card and I have a laptop doing sound. I just am using the iMac as a moniter.

Where is that adapter you mentioned. I am not fining a converter to Firewire.

Hooking up iMac G5 (2005) to hdmi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.