Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Automatic Backup never ever works

Every time I see people commenting on the Backup feature in iTunes. But honestly, I have NEVER ever seen this working for me 😟 I have a Macmini with iTunes and sharing on my local network via Wifi. But when I connect my iPhone or iPad with Wifi (this happens automatically), then the backup and/or syncing never starts. Not even when connecting them physically via the usb cable. I recently changed this to my Macbookpro. Both Macbookpro and Macmini have OS X Mavericks and iTunes sharing and syncing with eachother and Apple store.

But so far the only way to backup, is to manually start the backup. I have the settings set to 'connect over Wifi' and 'Automatic syncing' for both iPhone and iPad. Also there is no 'archive'. This term seems to popup now and then in messages. Only one (1) backup is in the list (Preferences->Devices) and in Finder; the latest one. Not really the great backup/restore feature I would expect.

So, the automatic backup feature (to my computer) is quite disappointing for me, to say the least. Tried removing and reconnecting devices, also no luck. So am I still misinterpreting the whole backup concept on Mac, or am I really the only one in this world without this feature actually functioning?

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Jan 2, 2014 7:19 AM

6 replies

Jan 10, 2014 4:43 PM in response to Tanyamiaaaauw

Backup happens as the first step of the sync process.

Tanyamiaaaauw wrote:

Only one (1) backup is in the list (Preferences->Devices) and in Finder; the latest one.

That's all there is. It doesn't do a new, full backup everytime you sync else you computer would soon run out of spcae.

It only updates the current backup with new/changed/deleted info.

If you restore the iPhone, iTunes will add the date to the current backup and create a new backup as teh current.

Jan 10, 2014 4:41 PM in response to Tanyamiaaaauw

You can automatically back up to iCloud or to iTunes, but not to both simultaneously. One of them can be automatic, but the other will have to be manual.

To turn on automatic iCloud backup, open Settings on your iOS device and go to iCloud > Storage and Backup and turn on backup there. Your device will automatically back itself up to iCloud once a day when it is plugged in, locked, and connected to Wi-Fi. If you ever want to back up to iTunes, just connect your device and click "Back Up Now".

To turn on automatic iTunes backup, simply switch off automatic iCloud backup on your iOS device; but don't quote me on that.

Jan 10, 2014 5:04 PM in response to Chris CA

@Chris CA: Sorry, but I once read this argument before and it really made me surprise and laugh a bit. It's an absolute nonsense argument. I have been working in IT all my life, and backups are always a matter of full and (possible) incremental backups. In addition with a (configurable) cyclus. It is no problem to introduce a cycle for e.g. a week or a month, after which the first full backup would be overwritten. There are multiple ways to have the space used for backups limited. But to have just one (1) backup is a non useable (and quite honestly amateurstic) approach. Everyone makes changes daily. There is no way to ensure that every day it's a perfect phone configuration; or even the backup itself could be corrupted. So there allways should be multiple choices.

I have Timecapsule backup as well, and this would be the only way now (beit indirect) to have some sort of backup cycling and history. Not the one you should be expecting from a professional company like Apple.

I do know that previously Apple did have the option for historic backups. Have seen references to this in earlier discussions. Somewhere in the line of iTunes versions this has dissappeared. No idea why.

Automatic Backup never ever works

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.