Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Home sharing dropping on MacBookPro Retina

Dear Forum,

Ever since Mac OSX 10.9 and iTunes 11 I've found home sharing to stutter, and then halt unexpectedly for my laptop.

My files are all on a 2011 iMac, connected to an Apple Airport Extreme via 1Gb ethernet. The Airport then connects to my laptop via 5GHz WIFI.

Both computers are running latest 10.9 OS. Both iTunes 11.x (latest). I can see the sharerd library, and can find my TV shows.

The shows start almost instantly on the laptop, but after 7 or 10 minutes the show just stops.

Monitoring the network traffic shows no problems with transfer speeds 4-5 Mb/sec, until all of a sudden the show stops. Network traffic drops to zero.

If I exit the TV show and double click the episode again it starts up and the show runs for 10 or so minutes. Network traffic continues, but It then hangs again.

Restarting iTunes, rebooting the router, rebooting the computers.....no luck. Tried turning off Time Machine backups...no luck.

Now the interesting part is my kids iPad can watch the same shared files no problem. Our Apple TV sees and runs the shared files no problem.

I would think it's a hardware issue with my laptop except that it worked before OS 10.9 and iTunes 11.

Any ideas or suggestions what to check, reset, preference to delete?

Thanks,

Ryan

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Jan 2, 2014 8:12 AM

6 replies

Jan 3, 2014 1:18 AM in response to rye-guy

I have the extact same problem.

My setup consist of a MacMini Server 2011 that share its iTunes library via Home Sharing. Streaming to my Apple TV2 and my iPad Air work just fine but when streaming to my MacBook Air 2013 the video content stops after around 10 min or so.

All my devices are running the latest software 10.9.1 and 7.0.4.

Home sharing dropping on MacBookPro Retina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.