Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connect mid 2009 macbook pro to hdtv display

Hey guys, so I'm just starting to become aware of connecting my mac to my television (I know, I know I'm so late to the party). Anyway I've been searching around and the information was becoming a bit much for me to grasp as the moment. I learned that because I have a macbook pro from before 2010, I can't just use a mini dp to hdmi adaptor and then get the hdmi capable but I also need a toslink and a minitoslink or else audio wont work? I have no idea what that is. Also do I even need the adaptor? I saw that they sold the wires that just connected straight from the mac to the television (I think that's what I was looking at).

So there are two hd televisions that I will be using:

51" samsung plasma tv series 5+ 530

32" hannspree tv

Macbook pro I am using:

MacBookPro5, 5 13" mid 2009

What I think I need:

Toslink

mini toslink

mini dp to hdmi adaptor

hdmi cable

I just need a list of item that I will need/if my list is right, examples of what both ends of the wires should look like, and maybe a mini step by step guide? But the list of items is my priority. I don't want to waste money getting the wrong things. Not trying to break the bank for this but I rather not use a bunch of wires either.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jan 2, 2014 9:23 AM

1 reply

Jan 2, 2014 11:58 AM in response to ljxgxz

For video you will need something such as this (no adaptor needed);

http://www.cableleader.com/15ft-mini-displayport-to-hdmi-cable-32awg.html?gclid= CKSFjvih4LsCFTRo7Aod-SIAgQ

For audio you will need something like this:

http://www.cablestogo.com/product/39943

I am not endorsing these particular cables. This is just examples to show you what you will need.

I am also assuming that your TVs have HDMI and RCA audio inputs.

Ciao.

Connect mid 2009 macbook pro to hdtv display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.