Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting a hard drive to an Extreme N

Using an Airport Extreme N:

1. Is there a way to connect 2 hard drives, one for a TM backup and one to share files?

2. Is there a way to access videos from a hard drive connected to the Extreme on an iPad?

3. Does playback of video from a connected hard drive slow down the entire network while it is being played?

Thanks!

Posted on Jan 2, 2014 11:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2014 11:42 AM

Is there a way to connect 2 hard drives, one for a TM backup and one to share files?

Connect a powered USB hub to the USB port on the AirPort Extreme. Once the powered hub is connected to the AirPort Extreme, most hubs have 4 additional ports that you can use.

Is there a way to access videos from a hard drive connected to the Extreme on an iPad?

A third party application like Filebrowser will allow you to do this. Stratospherix - FileBrowser - Overview

Does playback of video from a connected hard drive slow down the entire network while it is being played?

Impossible to say until you try it out on your network, even if we had pages of information about your network.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 2, 2014 11:42 AM in response to media fred

Is there a way to connect 2 hard drives, one for a TM backup and one to share files?

Connect a powered USB hub to the USB port on the AirPort Extreme. Once the powered hub is connected to the AirPort Extreme, most hubs have 4 additional ports that you can use.

Is there a way to access videos from a hard drive connected to the Extreme on an iPad?

A third party application like Filebrowser will allow you to do this. Stratospherix - FileBrowser - Overview

Does playback of video from a connected hard drive slow down the entire network while it is being played?

Impossible to say until you try it out on your network, even if we had pages of information about your network.

Jan 2, 2014 6:01 PM in response to Bob Timmons

1. How does the shared hard drive display to a Windows user? On my Mac it shows up under "Computer" Where does it display on a PC?

2. I tried it out and it seems like the video sometimes chokes, and I'm wondering why it uses USB as the connection to send data. Is connecting a drive to the Extreme not the best way to share video because it is USB based? Are there any advantages to sharing video/files this way over doing it directly on my Mac?

Thanks.

Jan 2, 2014 6:08 PM in response to media fred

Where does it display on a PC?

Sorry, I don't have a PC here to test, and this question was not included in your original post.

Apple's support document on this is here, but I cannot provide support on this.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1331?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Is connecting a drive to the Extreme not the best way to share video because it is USB based?

Correct, since data will transfer at about half the speed that it does compared to the data rate at a USB port on a computer.

Connecting a hard drive to an Extreme N

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.