Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 FCP7 Sequence Settings....

When using iPhone 5 footage (.mov) I always compress footage to Pro Res 422 LT but it's taking up A TON of space on all external HD's as well as my startup disk so I was thinking...is it possible to just drop these .mov files into FCP7 so that I don't have to render almost every move I make? Audio is not a huge part of this project. It's a music video with some pausing for audio.

Am I wasting all this time compressing for no reason? If I am, what would be the correct sequence settings for .MOV's shot from an iPhone 5?

Thank you in advance for both your time and response,

Michael

Final Cut Pro 7, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jan 2, 2014 11:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2014 12:12 PM

MDF31 wrote:

When using iPhone 5 footage (.mov) I always compress footage to Pro Res 422 LT but it's taking up A TON of space on all external HD's as well as my startup disk so I was thinking...is it possible to just drop these .mov files into FCP7 so that I don't have to render almost every move I make?

No.

Am I wasting all this time compressing for no reason?

No.

If you want to edit without converting the video first, you need to change editors. iMovie, FCP-X, Adobe Premiere Pro will edit the footage without conversion.

MtD

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 2, 2014 12:12 PM in response to MDF31

MDF31 wrote:

When using iPhone 5 footage (.mov) I always compress footage to Pro Res 422 LT but it's taking up A TON of space on all external HD's as well as my startup disk so I was thinking...is it possible to just drop these .mov files into FCP7 so that I don't have to render almost every move I make?

No.

Am I wasting all this time compressing for no reason?

No.

If you want to edit without converting the video first, you need to change editors. iMovie, FCP-X, Adobe Premiere Pro will edit the footage without conversion.

MtD

Jan 2, 2014 12:13 PM in response to MDF31

FCP 7 and earlier requires you to use "editing codecs" like ProRes. FCP does not work with the files the iPhone shoots natively...you must convert. If the files are too big, then you need to get bigger hard drives. A 1TB drive can be had for around $100.

There are no correct settings for native iPhone video. Either convert, or look into other edting apps that edit the footage natively, as FCP 7/6 does not. FCX will, as will Adobe Premiere Pro. But FCX would really like to "optimize" the media...meaning convert it to ProRes. But it will work with it natively.

iPhone 5 FCP7 Sequence Settings....

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.