Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration Assistant Won't Restore Data, Mavericks, from 10.8

This is f---ed up! I hope I can find an answer here...

I am trying to do one of the most basic things: Restore data, apps and settings from a USB Mountain Lion Time Machine backup to my new Mavericks based machine.

Migration assistant sees the disc fine, will let me get to the "restore" screen where there are 3 check boxes for restoring data, settings and apps from a time machine backup.

Unforutnately, it doesn't work. It says I have about 400k worth of data, settings, and apps to restore, but this is absolutely wrong. I've got about 800GB of stuff to restore, and appearently Migration Assistant doesn't see 99.9999% of it.

Any idea what's wrong here?

I did encrypt the home folder on my old machine, but NOT the time machine backup because I didn't want this problem! (It happened anyway).

Any help is greatly appreciated!

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Jan 2, 2014 1:41 PM

3 replies

Jan 2, 2014 2:24 PM in response to rkaufmann87

MA doesn't work fine! It didn't restore any of my apps, none of my data, and I am not sure what settings it set, but nothing I noticed right away.

I DID use the setup assistant at boot, same deal!

Contacting Apple Support is usually a pain, and takes too long. If they can't fix it on the phone (which is usually the case when I call), they want a genius to look at it, and that involves taking the machine down to the apple store.

By the time I have done all that, I can just re-load things myself.

No worries, I just restored my e-mail and browser settings. Those are the biggest things, and I can pull contacts etc off my iPhone.

I just wish the thing had restored like it is SUPPOSED to.

Anyway, thanks for the reply! =)

Migration Assistant Won't Restore Data, Mavericks, from 10.8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.