Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Active Directory? Can't get it to work.

I am not sure if my network and/or server is really misbehaving or that I am just too stupid to understand how this should work.

I am preparing my macmini server to run a small (audiovisual) company network. I especially want to use the server as a multiplatform fileserver. I am planning to hook an Areca ARC8050 thunderbolt RAID up to my macmini as an all client shared drive.

Can OS X Server (I am running the latest version) be an OD and AD server at the same time?

Do I have to setup an AD or is it already present/active on the server side?

How do I create or find the AD domain? Both my domain and subdomain.domain don't work.

How do I find my network administrator credentials? I have never registered a network administrator account so how would I know these credentials?

User uploaded file

I have been bumping into errors all the time. No matter what settings or credentials I use.

My FQDN is server.domain.com

When I use domain.com (trying to bind client to server)

User uploaded file

I get this error.

User uploaded file

When I use server.domain.com I get this error.

User uploaded file

DNS on the server side seems to be setup alright (nothing to change).

Client uses server as DNS lookup (server has the static IP adres 10.0.0.2).

All AD related ports are open.

Binding to OD works fine.

I am really lost here. What am I missing? Hope somebody can help me!

Thanks.

Mac mini, OS X Server

Posted on Jan 2, 2014 1:57 PM

21 replies

Jan 2, 2014 6:01 PM in response to pepmachine

Yes, lost you are. You realize that AD is Active Directory which runs on Windows Server products. Do you have a Windows server in the environment? Is it running Active Directory? If you do not, you can not join an AD domain.

Apple's server product provides a collection of services known as Open Directory. In many ways, OD parallels the services offered in Active Directory. You have users, groups, password management, group policy, replication, device binding and some levels of scaling. If you have an all Mac environment, you can use Open Directory to power the core of your network much like AD does on Windows networks. If you already have AD running, you likely don't need OD as you will simply be duplicating the existing setup. Yes, OD can run on top of an AD bind, but this is a specific configuration that can be avoided in many small shops.

Now, if you do have an AD server in the environment, then your requirements are DNS and time. You must ensure that the Macs are using the DNS of the AD server (or a DNS that has the proper SRV records in place). Then, you should point your Macs at the AD server for time information also. Use ntpq -p on your Macs to ensure they are receiving time packets from the AD server.

R-

Apple Consultants Network

Apple Professional Services

Author "Mavericks Server – Foundation Services" :: Exclusively available in Apple's iBooks Store

Jan 3, 2014 12:46 AM in response to Strontium90

Thanks Strontium and piperspace. I see the light now! I don't have a windows server.

Is it possible to bind a windows machine to OD and provide it with a roaming profile controlled by the Profile manager? I want to achieve 2 logins that both automount the shared drive. One a restricted access user account and an administrator level account. Does anybody know where I have to look to do this in Windows 7?

Thanks!

Jan 3, 2014 5:07 AM in response to pepmachine

You are mixing your technologies and envisioning a world in which platforms coexist and share technologies. This world does not exist. Windows can not use configuration profiles. That is an Apple technology. Windows uses group policy objects which require a Windows server to generate and distribute.

You can not bind a Windows machine to OS X using Apple's built in solutions. You could use Samba (http://www.samba.org) to achieve this but that may be far more technical than you want to get involved. In the world of mixed platform, the general breakdown is:

• Windows server will support Windows and Macs very effectively as long as you are not looking to manage the Macs.

• Windows server with an Mac Server as a subordinate will completely support Windows and Macs

• Mac Server alone will fully support the Macs but Windows integration is difficult to impossible depending on skill and risk aversion.

When you state "I want to achieve 2 logins that both automount the shared drive. One a restricted access user account and an administrator level account. " I believe you are talking about file services logins. This is done on your server when you define your share points.

OS X Server can run AFP and SMB file services protocols. This allows both Macs and Windows machines to connect to your shared folders.

I will take the opportunity to point out that there is a global group of Apple professionals who can assist with your project. http://consultants.apple.com/index.php Even if you use this as a learning opportunity, it sounds like you could use a little professional help to get you moving in the right direction and get a better understanding of the technology pieces and how they interact.

R-

Apple Consultants Network

Apple Professional Services

Author "Mavericks Server – Foundation Services" :: Exclusively available in Apple's iBooks Store

Jan 3, 2014 12:40 PM in response to Strontium90

Thanks again Strontium and piperspace.

Ok, so running an OS X and Windows 2012 R2 server simultaneously seems to be the most complete solution controlling a mixed environment. Is it correct that the OD can be binded to the AD? Does this mean that on the client side it feels like you're dealing with the same directory (besides all the different configurations) sharing certain services?

Can Windows Server and OS X server control one shared storage simultaneously? I fear the smb problems with Mavericks Server. I cannot afford to lose data and I will be transferring a lot of it. I hope a solution like this (if even possible) can bypass that problem.

Is it possible to run Windows Sever 2012 R2 in Parallels Desktop simultaneously with OSX Server on a mac mini?

Thanks (again).

Jan 3, 2014 1:07 PM in response to pepmachine

Nope. It is not correct to say that OD can be bound to AD. The directories are pretty much seperate products from competing vendors. Both are more complex than it frankly sounds like you are yet ready for.

It IS possible to bind Macs to both AD and OD at the same time. This is often done in large organizations so that users can login to Macs with AD credentials and also receive desktop preferences from a departmental Mac server. However, I don't think this is a good path to a solution for your problem.

Yes. Windows and Macs can share storage volumes simultaneously. You can do this with Workgroup style computing. You do not actually need either AD or OD just to share some files in a small workgroup. Even if your small workgroup has lots of large files. You do not necessarily need a server product and/or a directory for that. You just need a file server box that can reliably publish SMB shares.

If current problems with Maverick SMB are a worry you might want to consider using an older version of OSX or maybe a NAS box.

Jan 3, 2014 2:10 PM in response to piperspace

Ok, just to be sure.

If I want roaming profiles for both mac and windows clients and share a (thunderbolt) storage, the integrating solution (magic triangle?) solution could work?

If I drop the wish of roaming profiles for windows machines and just want to share a storage (AFP for Mac, SMB for Windows). Mac OSX Server would do the trick?

I will be using almost all OSX Server services (Calendar, Mail etc).

Jan 3, 2014 3:18 PM in response to piperspace

The thunderbolt RAID doesn't have to be controlled by OSX. It is compatible with windows too. It seems Parallels Desktop offers thunderbolt connections to virtual machines. This would allow for a windows file server or Windows Server (2012 R2) to control that task.

Is the golden triangle achievable on a singe macmini running OSX Server and Windows Server in Parallels Desktop simultaneously?

Active Directory? Can't get it to work.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.