Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot stop apps from auto login

I have two applications (Microsoft Word and Final Draft) that both open automatically at login. I did not select this and neither program appears in the list of login items that can be edited through System Preferences. This began happening when I installed Mavericks. Can anyone help?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 2, 2014 2:21 PM

2 replies

Jan 4, 2014 7:22 AM in response to KTG710

Hey there KTG710,

It sounds like you have a couple programs that started opening when you log in after upgrading to Mavericks, and you have already checked your user account login items. I had a couple of thoughts fo ryou to try out. First check to see if they had been moved to the Startup Items folder:

Some apps put items in the StartupItems folder, located in the Library folder. When you start your Mac, items placed in this folder open automatically.

From: OS X Mavericks: If you have problems with startup items

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH14059

If this is not the case, then I would try performing a Safe Boot with this article:

OS X: What is Safe Boot, Safe Mode?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1564?viewlocale=en_US

Starting up in Safe Mode

To start up into Safe Mode (to Safe Boot), follow these steps.

1. Be sure your Mac is shut down.
  2. Press the power button.
  3. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold the Shift key.
    The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone, but not before the tone.
  4. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple logo and the progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear).

After the logo appears, you should see a progress bar during startup. This indicates that your computer is performing a directory check as part of Safe Mode.

To leave Safe Mode, restart your computer without holding any keys during startup.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Take care,

Sterling

Cannot stop apps from auto login

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.