Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Gifting my iTunes balance to another user

I just got off the phone with Apple. They say I can gift my iTunes balance to another account. The instructions for this process are said to be online, but I can't find them anywhere. Any help would be much appreciated.

Posted on Jan 2, 2014 2:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2014 9:07 AM

My issue is resolved. Much thanks to Apple for helping me out.

First of all, terminology is key. You cannot gift your balance to someone else. However, you can put an UNUSED balance back to the original gift card. In contacting Apple for help, make sure you use the proper terminology for your issue.

To put it another way, if you redeem a gift card but don't use any of the money on it, you can have the full original balance put back on the gift card. At that point, give the card to someone else or redeem it on another account. If you're simply trying to gift or transfer a balance, you're not going to be able to do that.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 6, 2014 9:07 AM in response to JMJerrell

My issue is resolved. Much thanks to Apple for helping me out.

First of all, terminology is key. You cannot gift your balance to someone else. However, you can put an UNUSED balance back to the original gift card. In contacting Apple for help, make sure you use the proper terminology for your issue.

To put it another way, if you redeem a gift card but don't use any of the money on it, you can have the full original balance put back on the gift card. At that point, give the card to someone else or redeem it on another account. If you're simply trying to gift or transfer a balance, you're not going to be able to do that.

Jan 2, 2014 2:59 PM in response to JMJerrell

I don't know who you talked to an Apple, but they either were confused about what you were asking or just flat wrong (the iTunes Store has no phone support and Apple's hardware and software technicians often aren't fully knowledgable about iTunes Store policies and issues). It's generally not possible to transfer a credit balance from one user to another. The only time where this is possible is if you have just redeemed an iTunes card or monetary gift certificate and not spent any of that credit yet. In such a case the iTunes Store can sometimes "transfer" that amount back to the card/certificate so it can be redeemed in another iTunes Store account. Otherwise, again, it's not possible.

Regards.

Jul 7, 2014 10:18 AM in response to Rameshkl

Rameshkl wrote:

Thanks for the info, what if i don't have the gift card that i used it few months ago and still have the same credit balance. how will apple put back the credit as i have discarded the physical gift card. will they give the redemption code that i used?

Thanks,

You'll have to contact the iTunes Store and ask if there will be anything they can do for you in that circumstance.

Gifting my iTunes balance to another user

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.