Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App Store Gift Card

I received a App Store gift card and directions on the card indicated to put code into my iTunes account. I did this today and the credit shows up in my iTunes account. I wanted to use this on a purchase in the App store, but the app does not show up in iTunes. I purchased the app I wanted in the App Store on my Macbook Pro, but it did not indicate how to redeem it in the App Store. The credit still shows up in iTunes. I tried to find info on all of this and I was unsuccessful. I'm not sure what to do or to know for sure if my credit will be used for this purchase. Just wondering if anyone else has had this experience and what to do?

App Store-OTHER, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), Trying to use App Store Gift Card

Posted on Jan 2, 2014 3:55 PM

5 replies

Jan 2, 2014 5:16 PM in response to LadyCarina

Did you purchase the app from the iTunes Store or from the App Store? You're using iTunes and the App Store interchangeably and they are used to purchase different kinds of apps (iTunes is for apps for iPhone, iPod touch, iPad while the Mac App Store is for computer apps).

If you purchased an app from the iTunes Store, go to iTunes>Preferences. Under Show, check apps. You can see the apps you purchased and sync them to your iPhone, iPod touch and/or iPad.

If you purchased an app from the Mac App Store, go to your applications folder using Finder. Your purchased app is in there.

Jan 3, 2014 7:54 AM in response to John Guo

Thank you for your reply, John. Someone gave me a App card as a gift, so they purchased it as a gift card to give to me. I followed the directions on the card to enter the code in iTunes. The credit shows up in iTunes. If it is intended for iPad or iPhone I might be in trouble since I want to use it to download Apps on my Macbook Pro. Do you know if there is a way around this??

Jan 3, 2014 8:20 AM in response to LadyCarina

Don't worry, you can use it in any of the two online stores; it is universal for both. So you want to use the Mac App Store to purchase the apps for your computer. All apps you purchased for your computer, NOT iPhone, iPod touch, etc, is stored on your Applications folder, NOT iTunes. iTunes only will store apps purchased for iPhone, iPod touch, etc because the apps need to be synced to the other devices through iTunes.

As I mentioned before, your purchased app is in the Applications folder. open Finder and there should be an Applications folder shortcut on the left side of the window. You can also use Launchpad to find the app. Or spotlight to search for the app.

In the rare case that you really can't find the app, you can always re-download that for free. Open the App Store and go to the Purchases tab. All of your past purchases are listed there.

App Store Gift Card

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.