Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Switch back to iPhoto or stick with Aperture?

When I purchased my Macbook Pro a year ago a friend recommended that I use aperture for all my photo needs. Now, a year later I would prefer to use iPhoto to do most of my work with the images I import (rating, description, albums, etc). So I'm not sure if I should move everything back to iPhoto (and how so that I don't lose the Albums I've already created in Aperture), or if there is a simple way to use both. I have a lot of photos to sort and edit so I want a user-friendly solution.

Any input is helpful - thanks!

Posted on Jan 2, 2014 3:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2014 3:17 PM

If you have the latest versions of both iPhoto and Aperture there's nothing to move. iPhoto can open the Aperture library. Just launch it. Job done.

8 replies

Jan 2, 2014 3:22 PM in response to JAH0322

You can use Aperture and iPhoto on the photo library, if you have the recent versions of Aperture and iPhoto, see: Aperture 3.3: Using a unified photo library with iPhoto and Aperture

What your iPhoto and Aperture versions?

With the current Aperture 3.5.1 and iPhoto '11 (version 9.5.1) you can simply switch from Aperture to iPhoto using the command "File > Open Library in iPhoto", when browsing the library in Aperture, and back, by using the command "File > Open Library in Aperture.

There are a few caveats: To edit the books you will have to switch to the application, that created the book. And photos you have hidden in iPhoto cannot be unhidden in Aperture and vica versa with rejected photos. Also, iPhoto does not understand Aperture's hierarchical keywords, they will appear flat in iPhoto. Other than that, it will work well.

Regards

Léonie

Jan 3, 2014 5:07 PM in response to Najinsky

I find iPhoto much easier and faster for what I am doing with my photos these days. To me, I can upload them, rank and add keywords faster than in Aperture. I also found Aperture hard to navigate through, although that could have been because I was new to a Mac.... I would love to learn how to use one (or both!) applications well.

Switch back to iPhoto or stick with Aperture?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.