Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB External Drive Ejects For No Reason

I have a 1 TB hard drive (the internal from my old G5) in a USB enclosure. Recently, starting a few weeks ago, it has been ejecting from the desktop while the computer (iMac 2011) is asleep. When I wake the iMac I get a message saying that the drive was put away improperly which could damage it (words like that). I need the drive to be permanently connected (but asleep is OK) so that an operation can be carried out while the iMac sleeps. I have looked at System Prefs but there seems no setting there which would cause this. I have to switch it off then on again to get it to mount.

Mountain Lion 10.8.5

How can I get it to remain mounted please?

Posted on Jan 2, 2014 3:27 PM

5 replies

Jan 4, 2014 9:34 AM in response to SteveKir

Hello Steve,

Thank you for the details of the issue you are experiencing with your external hard drive. I found an article with steps you can take when you are experiencing issues with USB devices.

I recommend following the steps in the section titled "Top troubleshooting tips" in the following article:

USB and FireWire Quick Assist

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1151

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Best,

Sheila M.

Jan 4, 2014 1:35 PM in response to SteveKir

Mike Bombich (Carbon Copy Cloner) solved it. Keep the USB backup drive normally unmounted (but of course with its power supply switched on). With CCC's prefs. set as before to wake up the computer at 8 am, it now mounts the drive and does the backup. With its prefs. now set to unmount the drive after the backup and put the computer to sleep, normal operation has resumed. But why my iMac produces random glitches like this over the last 2 1/2 years is a mystery.

Jan 5, 2014 2:42 AM in response to SteveKir

OOPS! I spoke too soon. Although the method worked when yesterday afternoon I (twice) set the CCC time for a backup several minutes away, then slept the computer, it did not work overnight for the usual 8 am scheduled backup. Disc Utility listed the backup drive after yesterday's two tests, but this morning, after the 8 am scheduled backup, it didn't list it. It seems that after a few hours sleep the OS completely forgets the existence of the drive.

How can I get the drive to remain listed permanently? Thanks.

USB External Drive Ejects For No Reason

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.