Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Possible to create bridge for NAS device on iMac?

Hi,

I just got my first Mac (an iMac) after being a Windows user for a long time. I have a 3TB MyBook Live NAS device that I was wanting to connect directly to my iMac via ethernet because having it connected over wireless isn't fast enough. The gotcha is I would like to have it also accessible by the other machines on my wireless network.

I can get the NAS device connected and working for my iMac with the internet Sharing but I can't figure out how to get it accessible to the other machines on the network. I had this working on my old windows machine so I was hoping I could do this on my Mac.

Am I trying to do somethng that isn't possible or am I missing the correct configuration to get this to work?

Wireless IP : 192.168.1.100

Shared ethernet IP : 192.168.2.1

NAS IP : 192.168.2.2

I've tried having it all set to DHCP, I've tried setting the NAS device to use an IP on the same subnet as my wireless network but the translation doesn't seem to be happening.

Any tips and suggestions are welcome!

Thanks!

Flash

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 2, 2014 4:15 PM

3 replies

Jan 2, 2014 7:08 PM in response to Linc Davis

I apologize for my lack of knowledge with Macs. As I said, this is my first one and I only got it a few days ago.

Let me give a little more background/info and hopefully it will explain a little better what I am trying to do. And I hate saying "it worked on windows" because its apples and oranges but thats the only reference I have.

I have a mybook live that I can only connect to my network via ethernet. If I connect this to my current wireless router, the throughput for the wireless network is too slow to my iMac so I want to connect it to my iMac via the ethernet port so the speed between the iMac and the mybook is much better. I also want the iMac route properly so that the other machines on my network can connect to the mybook live as well. I had this working on my windows box through sharing my wireless connection and creating a bridge. I was just hoping this functionality would be similar on the iMac.

As of now, I have the mybook connected to my iMac and the iMac can access it just fine. However, it is on a different subnet than the wireless network. The issue is I can't figure out how (or if it is possible) to get the iMac to accept and route traffic to and from the machines on the wireless network.

I don't know how File Sharing works but I will look into it and see how it works. Maybe that's where my answer lies.

I apologize for my mac noobness - I'm trying to learn quickly!

Again, thanks for your help.

Possible to create bridge for NAS device on iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.