Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Limit adult content restrictions is too strict

I've set my daughters iPhone 5C to limit adult content websites in restrictions however it is becoming vet frustration for the both of us! It is restricting sites like Wikipedia, reputable newspaper sites, Environment Canada, etc. I know I can add sites individually however it is a non-stop process! Is there a better way to limit websites in a less-restrictive basis for my new teenage daughter?

iPhone 5c

Posted on Jan 2, 2014 4:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2014 7:40 AM

I've the EXACT same problem. It's pretty bad - blocks roughly every 3rd website I try to access.

I presume the problem is that it filters any site that contains a restricted word, even if the site is perfectly reputable - I've had stuff from apple.com blocked!!

As to alternatives, the only ones I know of are things like X3Watch and Accountable2You, but they require you to use their own browsers, disable Safari, and prevent installing additional browsers, AND they don't work on any other apps that access the Internet (e.g. YouTube). That, is a result of Apple restrictions on the iOS. In Android, these accountability apps work across all apps and browsers.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2014 7:40 AM in response to BudzofHFX

I've the EXACT same problem. It's pretty bad - blocks roughly every 3rd website I try to access.

I presume the problem is that it filters any site that contains a restricted word, even if the site is perfectly reputable - I've had stuff from apple.com blocked!!

As to alternatives, the only ones I know of are things like X3Watch and Accountable2You, but they require you to use their own browsers, disable Safari, and prevent installing additional browsers, AND they don't work on any other apps that access the Internet (e.g. YouTube). That, is a result of Apple restrictions on the iOS. In Android, these accountability apps work across all apps and browsers.

Apr 2, 2014 10:19 PM in response to BudzofHFX

The content filter is so frustrating. Even the sites that I have entered to allow still get blocked. The main page is fine, but as you go deeper into the site it blocks it. A feedback option would be helpful, so as to send apple info on the sites that are actually benign that are being blocked. I had the webpage for an evangelical church in my area blocked as well as various restaurants. Bloody irritating it is.

Jul 8, 2014 10:23 AM in response to BudzofHFX

Ditto here..

When I first enabled this about six months back, I didn't seem to run into so many false positives. Now, the feature is useless. If I had to guess, Apple initially set some reasonable rules for the feature's filtering, but as some websites probably slipped through and customers complained that little Johnny was looking at bikini website, they went extreme - to where now the feature essentially blocks everything and you need to explicitly list every site as permitted.

One of the problems is that the Always Allow filter is too granular. If I indicate a particular URL, it should allow all the web pages within that URL. For example, today, I have to add separate entries for www.craigslist.org, post.craigslist.org, swva.craigslist.org... why not just craigslist.org to unlock the "website" as the feature suggests? Not sure if this would be enough, but certainly an improvement.

Limit adult content restrictions is too strict

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.