Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 5 not charging blinking empty battery, lightning bolt and plug

My battery went low, to 1% and kept working for about 30 minutes.

When I got home it was showing the "charge me now".

Now its just blinking "charge me" for 4 seconds, going black for 4 seconds.

Posted on Jan 2, 2014 5:50 PM

16 replies

Jan 2, 2014 7:34 PM in response to cmacmacma

Ok, so I left it charging for an hour on the wall. It was Still blinking like I never even plugged into charger. I swtiched to a different charger. same problem, still blinking 30 minutes later. Plugged it into macbook. No change, not showing up at all in itunes. Updated itunes, rebooted computer...

.. then the phone went black for about 10 minutes.

Then started blinking again, just like before.

Jan 2, 2014 7:33 PM in response to cmacmacma

I then left it on computer for 1 hour. Came back and it was working. Charged at 54%. I picked it up to text while still charging and it vibrates like i just plugged it in. Did a few texts, all the while it vibrates a bunch of times. Set it back down to charge. Its now at 89%. put it on the computer 2 hours ago. When I touched it to check its battery amount, it vibrated twice at me. Hmmm...

Jan 20, 2014 9:58 AM in response to imanfromsweden

Hi,

No one contacted me, but I figured it out on my own.

Apparently it does this when there is a connection to the charger that isn't making full contact on all pins.

Sooo.. I realised this by applying slight pressure to the lightning connector, and it started charging.

I propped some weight and let it charge overnight.

The next night, this trick would no longer work :(..

I figured maybe lint from my pocket got inside the lighting port on the iphone?

Got a flashlight, sure enough.. Lint.

So I fished it out with something small like a paper clip.

Fixed it immediately.

Oct 16, 2015 1:38 PM in response to Tedlouisville

Suffered with this issue as the iPhone 5 power went down unexpectedly (and with a new battery not a week old no less.)

Nothing down shifting around chargers did much but recover the flashing red light three times and the battery.

It was clearly not charging beyond that point after 45 minutes.

Using a vacuum with a heavy suction for debris did not change any result. The new charger cable overnight did nothing except now show a black dead screen.

Later that day sprayed a bit of dexoyit on a picture hanger frame stud small enough to scrap around inside. Out comes a chunk of damp lint balled up? How is that possible?

Pull that out and put it down for viewing and go back in again. Now less but another smaller damp piece. Two more times scooping around and still smaller pieces damp from the deoxyit collect and come to the surface. Joins their brothers on the hall of lint shame.

Go back and plug it in and get the red solid light with battery. Few minutes later the Apple logo comes on and it loads up showing 4%.

Battery continues charging up.

Thanks to you Lint man whoever you are. That's some unreal lesson to learn saving time, heartache and money. Salud!

iphone 5 not charging blinking empty battery, lightning bolt and plug

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.