Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restoring ability to add accent marks by holding down keys

I used to be able to add accent marks by holding down keys. A couple of days ago I lost that function for no apparent reason. I can't find a way to restore it. What should I do?

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 2, 2014 9:07 PM

4 replies

Jan 2, 2014 9:41 PM in response to epodlucky

I suggest going to System Preferences > Keyboard and on the leftmost (keyboard) tab, check the bottom box "Show Keyboard & Character Viewers in Menu Bar".

Then you can click your keyboard symbol toward the right side of the menu bar, choose "Show Character Viewer", and find and insert your accented letters from there. Double click an accented letter to insert it.

Jan 3, 2014 5:08 AM in response to epodlucky

epodlucky wrote:

I used to be able to add accent marks by holding down keys. A couple of days ago I lost that function for no apparent reason. I can't find a way to restore it.

Try creating a new user account and see if you have the same problem when logged into that.

In the meantime, you can make accents using the standard option key shortcuts as before, e.g. option e, then e gives you é.

Restoring ability to add accent marks by holding down keys

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.