Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wireless keyboard connected but not typing / no input

I have a question regarding the keyboard/input as it is not working, it shows that it is connected but when i try to type something nothing is appearing on the screen, i've tried all the troubleshooting steps at http://support.apple.com/kb/PH10680 but its still not working, it seems that restarting the computer fixes it but i want a permanent fix and doesnt want to restart everytime its not wokring.

PS: im at work right now and connected to my mac via teamviewer and its still not typing, so im pretty sure that its not the keyboard that has the problem. any ideas on how to fix this? i never changed or updated anything on my mac. im using OSX 10.8.5

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Jan 3, 2014 6:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2014 7:19 AM

yes it is working fine until this morning, i've already checked my settings in bluetooth and have tried to on/off it and it gets connected but when i try to type something in the spotlight all i see is that the cursor is blinking and there are no letters/numbers, do you happen to know if there is a keylock feature on the apple wireless keyboard? because if there is im thinking i may have pressed it accidentally.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 3, 2014 7:19 AM in response to Barry Wilbraham1

yes it is working fine until this morning, i've already checked my settings in bluetooth and have tried to on/off it and it gets connected but when i try to type something in the spotlight all i see is that the cursor is blinking and there are no letters/numbers, do you happen to know if there is a keylock feature on the apple wireless keyboard? because if there is im thinking i may have pressed it accidentally.

Jan 3, 2014 6:21 AM in response to earnectar

Well, I would be looking to make sure that the batteries underneath the keyboard are fully charged. The go to System Preferences, making sure that you have the right keyboard configuration for the country you are living in. You could also restore defaults etc in this pane. Try this first. I think that on some of the earlier keyboards there was a connection button underneath, but I may be mistaken. I prefer them wired for this reason although my wife uses the wireless one. Good luck.

Jan 3, 2014 6:49 AM in response to Barry Wilbraham1

Thanks for the reply, the batteries are currently at 80% which means that there is no problem with the hardware, i also tried the restore to defaults on all fields on the keyboard shortcut tab in system preferences but its still not working, i've tried using the show keyboard viewer and tried typing using it and its working, so now my problem is input using the keyboard itself. Any other suggestions?

Jan 5, 2014 8:37 AM in response to earnectar

This might or might not help.

After upgrading to Mavericks I experienced terrible problems with the Bluetooth keyboard failing to connect. This would often go on for days requiring me to use the old wired USB keyboard.

When the wireless keyboard wasn't working the Bluetooth indicator at the top of the iMac screen would usually show the keyboard was connected but didn't show a battery level.

I read all the forums and tried everything I could over a period of a few weeks, changing the channel on the router, dumping Bluetooth preferences and anything else that was suggested but all to no avail. I got to the stage of thinking I needed to buy a new keyboard.

By chance I then tried updating the firmware of the keyboard which naturally I could only do once the connection re-established it's self. After a few days it suddenly re-connected and I ran the update. I can say that after a month the problem has not reoccurred.

I don't know if the firmware was supposed to update it's self during the Mavericks installation or if this firmware problem was going to happen at some stage.

Mar 16, 2014 4:13 AM in response to earnectar

HAD THE SAME PROBLEM few minutes ago....

what I did:

System Preferences> Accessibility> Mouse & Trackpad> Option> turned ON.. WITH a tick (Press the Option key five times t toggle Mouse Keys)

then..

• Shut down the computer.
  • Unplug the computer's power cord and ALL peripherals.
  • Wait 15 seconds.
  • Attach the computers power cable.
  • Wait another 5 seconds and press the power button to turn on the computer.

The 5 second timing is important to a successful reset.

iMac 21.5-inch, Mid 2011

Software OS X 10.9.2

Wireless keyboard connected but not typing / no input

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.