Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Canadian holidays in Mac Calendar?

Hi! My Mac Calendar is displaying US holidays. Not sure where it is getting it from, considering my location under Date/Time does show the Canadian city where I live. How do I get my Calendar to display Canadian holidays instead?

I am using OS X Mavericks 10.9.1 on a Macbook Pro.

Thanks.

Subbu

Macbook Pro and Mac Pro quad, Two 23" monitors

Posted on Jan 3, 2014 6:42 AM

14 replies

Jan 5, 2014 6:31 AM in response to Barry Wilbraham1

Not a silly question, but one that made me think. Well, the Mac should know where it is located. The time and location it displays are local. Moreover, the network IP number should also inform it as to which country I am in. Mac is too global a company to be assuming everybody using its products are in the US. So, I am guessing there's some setting somewhere I need to change to Canada.

Subbu

Jan 6, 2014 10:31 AM in response to Barry Wilbraham1

Hi Barry! Thanks for trying to help. I did what you said. I set the city to Calgary, yet it defaults back to Cupertino, CA the next time I check! Does this half a dozen times, but it switches back to Cupertino!!! Calendar continues to show only US holidays. I specified Canada under Language & Region in System Preferences, but that didn't do anything to the calendar holidays. This is frustrating!

Subbu

Jan 6, 2014 12:05 PM in response to Subbu44

The first thing to do if a simple setting does not "take" is to reset PRAM. Have you tried that? Do it after you have entered the correct settings.

(see http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379)

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
  6. Release the keys.

Calendar has no problems on my computer in Toronto. Here's Family day in February:

User uploaded file

My settings in System Preferences / Langague and Region:

User uploaded file

Jan 11, 2014 7:06 AM in response to Subbu44

Hi guys! I solved my problem. Thanks to all those that tried to help. Here's what I did to get Canadian holidays insead of US:

First, I realized there was a check against "US holidays) when I clicked Calendars on the top left. I unchecked it (see screenshot). That removed all US holidays (I didn't need to know what the US tax deadline is!).

User uploaded file

Then I clicked on the wifi-like symbol that appears next to US holidays. That brought up a link for US holidays (https://p20-calendars.icloud.com/holiday/US_en.ics):

User uploaded file

However, Googling did not bring up the equivalent for Canadian ones. I took my chance by replacing the US_en with CA_en in the URL, installed the file it prompted me, and voila, it worked! Now, Canadian holidays show up.

Hope this helps. Maybe there's a shorter way to do it, but this is one that worked for me. Setting region to Canada in System Preferences or Calendar seems to work only for the time zone, not for holidays. Calendar Help says choosing the city in Calenadar will update holidays (which I find it doesn't) and says that the previous holidays will be displayed unless deleted (without clear instructions on how to delete). My Calendar location still defaults to Cupertino, CA, but who cares! Looks like only Apple does! :-)

Subbu

Apr 21, 2014 5:07 AM in response to Eustace Mendis

I have discovered the way to have 'UK Holidays' calendar and events displayed in the OS X Calendar app when the 'Show Holidays calendar' preference is ticked. I suspect a similar solution may satisfy your wish to have the Canadian Holidays calendar and events displayed in the Calendar app. I appreciate you already have been provided with a solution.

I presume you have these settings:
System Preferences -> Language & Region -> Region = 'United Kingdom'

System Preferences -> Language & Region -> Preferred Language (Primary) = 'English'

I needed to change Preferred Language (Primary) = 'British English', then reboot as prompted. (You can keep Preferred Language = 'English' as a secondary language, or delete this).

I know: it is crap, and must be a bug with either the OS X installer or with the Calendar app; Apple to decide which. Out on the internet there are many people reporting this issue: what they appear to have in common is they use the English language but are not in the USA.

Canadian holidays in Mac Calendar?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.