Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro won't update properly

Hello there I recently recieved a preowned but perfectly functioning MacBook Pro which had been tested by my younger brother and given to me as the (slightly) inferior between the two (MBP's) he had to choose from.

However when I recieved it his name was all over everything and so I chose to do a DVD re-install for Mac OS X, which is where the problem first arose.

Firstly I'll give you the specs of my machine.

It's:

'Mac OS X

Version 10.6.8

Processor: 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory: 8 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3'

That's obviously the basic info but I can provide more if needed.

Anyway after the re-install, and some difficulty logging in, I got on the machine and found that all of the dashboard applications were faded with a white circle cross through them. When clicking on them, the message states: "You can't use this version of the application 'X' with this version of Mac OS X" with no option to update. I have pressed the Software Update option on the Apple icon menu numerous times but it seems to find no available updates. The only thing that will work is iTunes.

The App store will not allow me to download Mavericks but to be honest I'm not sure if I should because yesterday I updated the machine and found myself locked out of the computer; it brought me to the login screen, I would correctly enter my password and it looks as if it is logging in, and then it kicks me right back to the login screen again, in an endless loop, which was eventually fixed with yet another DVD re-install.

As I've said I've updated as much as the machine will allow and I cannot access Safari now because it gives me a different 'Problem Report'.

"Safari cannot be opened because of a problem.

Check with the developer to make sure Safari works with this version of Mac OS X. You may need to reinstall the application. Be sure to install any available updates for the application and Mac OS X."

I would appreciate your help or hints to try and get this machine running. I can tell it's a great machine, there's just something I'm missing.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jan 3, 2014 7:49 AM

11 replies

Jan 5, 2014 12:48 PM in response to herrlosse

herrlosse,

there were two different versions of OS X that were supplied on the grey installation DVD that came with your model MacBook Pro, depending upon when it shipped from the factory — one of them had Leopard (10.5.7), and the other one had Snow Leopard (10.6.0). Is your grey installation DVD the one with 10.6.0?

Since you’d stated that your MacBook Pro had 10.6.8 installed, you must have run Software Update to get to 10.6.8. At what point after the reïnstallation from the grey DVD did the difficulty logging in begin? Had you already updated to 10.6.8 before the difficulty began, or had you had difficulty before updating to 10.6.8?

Jan 14, 2014 8:08 AM in response to Melophage

Yes mine is the one with 10.6.0, I have just reinstalled it again, having installed it, and reinstalling all applications using the applications disk, updating to 10.6.8 and still not having any of the applications work.

I have no problem logging in now, my problem is getting any app other than Safari to work, because every app I click on says that I need a more up to date software to run it, and it differs depending on the app.

Very frustrating.

Jan 14, 2014 7:30 PM in response to herrlosse

herrlosse,

is there a chance that the Applications Install DVD that you have is not the right counterpart for the Mac OS X Install DVD that you have?

Take a look at your two grey installation DVDs: on both discs in the lower left “corner” there will be an identifier beginning with “2Z691”; each disc has a different identifier. Please include in your reply the full identifiers for both discs.

Jan 15, 2014 7:20 AM in response to Melophage

The "13-inch MacBook Pro

Mac OS X Install DVD"

is:

'Mac OS version 10.6

Disc version 1.0

2Z691-6533-A'

and the "13-inch MacBook Pro

Applications Install DVD"

is

'AHT version 3A174

Disc version 1.0

2Z691-6538-A'

Bare in mind since the most recent re-install of Mac OS X, I haven't updated anything, so Safari works, but none of the other apps. but from Safari I could download any higher version of the Mac OS, I guess.

I don't know what to do, nor do I know whether my machine can even take OS X Mavericks, or whether it would be wise to install it?

Jan 15, 2014 7:17 PM in response to herrlosse

herrlosse,

your Applications Install DVD is the right counterpart for your Mac OS X Install DVD. Have you tried booting from the Applications Install DVD to run the Apple Hardware Test? If you haven’t tried to do so yet, do so — when it boots up, run its extended test. It should take 30 minutes or so to run to completion. I’m wondering if there’s a fault with the RAM, since your grey DVDs are the right ones for your MacBook Pro, and so shouldn’t complain about having the wrong OS version.

Your MacBook Pro can run Mavericks, but you’ll need to get to 10.6.8 to be able to download it from the Mac App Store. If you do have faulty RAM, then it’s better to work with Snow Leopard, to avoid adding another variable into the mix.

Feb 11, 2014 3:17 PM in response to herrlosse

I solved this! For anyone that ever may have a similar problem.

The problem was that Mavericks had already been installed on the computer before my reinstall of the OS X (10.6), the applications weren't working because a more up-to-date version was operating on the system, and was incompatible with 10.6.8. Mavericks wouldn't install because there were trace elements still within the system.

Essentially I had caused the problem by sticking old wallpaper over new.

In the end I fixed it myself; booted in safe mode with the OS X disc, went to disc utility, Erased the entire drive with a 35 pass option (which took 24 hours!), then reinstalled OS, updated to 10.6.8, then reinstalled Applications disk, updated all applications twice. Then restarted and left switched off for a few hours. Reboot in safe mode with networking, only to search for software update. Then I download 10.9.1 and installed with no problems. Another software update for the minor apps (iTunes, Flash, Java, etc) and then installed essentials like VLC, UnRar, and downloaded the Microsoft 365. Working smoothly now.

Feb 11, 2014 11:11 PM in response to herrlosse

herrlosse,

yes, you’d need either an external HD or an AirPort Time Capsule — the external HD would be less expensive. The external enclosure can have either a USB port or a FireWire 800 port; you’ll get better throughput with your FireWire 800 port as compared to your USB 2.0 ports, but enclosures with a FireWire 800 port tend to be pricier than enclosures with a USB 2.0 (or USB 3.0) port.

MacBook Pro won't update properly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.