4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 3, 2014 10:11 AM by Grant Lenahan
Grant Lenahan Level 4 Level 4 (1,190 points)

If you hang around here one tends to get a distorted view of the world - al the 10.9 problems show up - a huge self-selection bias.

10.9.x has a few issues, but overalli wanted to report the opposite - I've now upgraded 3 macs from 10.6.8 and all the upgrades went very smoothly.

Mail works fine - even with GMAIL

Upgrades progressed slowly, but without issues.

Performance is roughly the same as before (rare, and good)

upgrade from 10.9 to 10.9.1 was nearly seamless

That said, i took a lot of precautions:

1. i had full, external bootable backups (this way i could go back to 0.6.8 or start over easily)

2. before upgrade I restarted and had all applications closed

3. before upgrade i chekced the disk and repaired permissions

So, despite the fact that everything here seems ngative, my experience was positive.

Now, if the folder modified dates would quite changing for no good reason.......

Grant

MacBook Pro (15-inch 2.53 GHz), OS X Mavericks (10.9), 4G/250G
  • John Galt Level 8 Level 8 (38,735 points)

Grant Lenahan wrote:

If you hang around here one tends to get a distorted view of the world - al the 10.9 problems show up - a huge self-selection bias.

Hanging around a hospital waiting room one tends to get a distorted view of the state of human health.

The vast majority of upgrade experiences are positive, but that would never be determined from perusing this site.

All of my Macs upgraded without the slightest difficulty, and they include various portables and desktops of various ages and configurations. Having installed every single Mac OS upgrade since 1985 on many Macs, Mavericks was the most seamless yet, and resulted in quantifiable performance increases in every case. That is a first in the history of OS X. Mavericks is new life for older or more resource-limited Macs, and it's free.

Nearly every problem reported on this site blamed on Mavericks has been due to incompatible software or hardware, in roughly the same proportion as every other OS X upgrade. The vast majority of them are directly attributable to ill-conceived "anti-virus" or "cleaning" garbage, likely the result of Windows PC developers desperately trying to assert their relevance by pushing their junk on former Windows users. With limited exposure to Windows I seriously underestimated the widespread prevalence of such garbage, the single greatest contributor to poor Mac performance.

• bigd_pdx Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

Same for me.  Upgraded 4 machines, but traded one in so I've got 3 machines running 10.9.1 currently. 

1) Mac Pro upgraded from a mature 10.8.x (2x WD 1TB FW800 drives attached).

2) 2x Late 2013 MBA's, upgraded from 2 month old 10.8.x install.  Using 2 WD external drives without incident (USB 2.0 and USB 3.0).  Also, battery life and performance has been excellent.  Typical battery life surfing the web and using iWork apps is 12-14hrs.

3) Late 2013 iMac, upgraded out of the box from 10.8.x.  Using external WD drives (FW800, USB 2.0, 3.0 and a USB 3.0 dock from NewerTechnology to access the drives from the Mac Pro).  Also using a DataTale RSM4T with 4x3GB drives in a RAID 10 configuration via Thunderbolt.

*Knock on wood*

So far, no issues to speak of.  I think I've only had a handful of reboots from all of them put together.  Uptime on the iMac before 10.9.1 was 32 days.  I would be considered a "power user" I think (photo and video editing, development tools, VM's).

• David62901 Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

Same for me too I got my first MacBook pro for Christmas I updated from 10.8.3 to 10.8.5 then upgraded to mavericks 10.9.1 no problem at all so far Ive been testing everything so far everything looks fine. Looking forward to many years with my MacBook pro.

• Grant Lenahan Level 4 Level 4 (1,190 points)

I'm at the other end of the spectrum... i upgraded (among others) a mid-2009 MBP 15.  Once successfully on 10.9, i also added RAM and an SSD.  What a transformation!  Good for another 3-4 years.

To put numbers to that, my write and read speeds, per BlackMagic were 15-20 mB/s and 20-25MB/s respectively.  Once the SSD went in, these rose to ~ 200 MB/s (W) and 250 MB/s (R).  Wowser (that's a technical term).

I cannot express how big a difference an SSD makes ( i put in a crucial M500).

The RAM made a significant difference too, and was cheap.

Grant