Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV falling off iTunes

Hi. I have an Apple TV 1 connected wirelessly to my PC running iTunes 11.1.3.8. I have assigned a fixed IP address on my router for the Apple TV. Home sharing is turned on for this pc and another pc. However I cannot see the apple TV on either nor see the 2 pc libraries on each other. The solution is to reboot my router. Then everything appears and will stay that way for a number of days and then disappear again.

does anyone have any idea why this is happening as not sure if it is an Apple TV problem or more widespread home sharing problem. Both PC are running windows 64-bit pro.

Thanks for any advice as wife get realyl cross she can never play her music round the house!!!

Mike

Apple TV, Windows 7

Posted on Jan 3, 2014 8:16 AM

7 replies

Jan 3, 2014 12:15 PM in response to masplin

I have the similar problem. After several failed attempts, I was able to get homesharing working by power sequence the modem, router, computer (reboot the router alone did not work for me). After a day or so, I lost home sharing ability, Power sequencing again, it did not work. I went into Norton firewall, to change the setting allowing share window files, it worked again, except only once. Now home sharing does not work even with firewall disabled.

When select home sharing on Apple TV, it asked me to turn on itune home sharing using my specific apple ID, which has been turned on, and the Apple Id in itune and Apple TV were identical.

Two problems: 1, How to get back Home Sharing? 2. How to keep it without losing it?

Sterling

Jan 3, 2014 1:08 PM in response to slh888

I have had the same frustrations for months. Then I read a suggestion and tried it and it worked, at least for me. Here is what you do.

Go to Control Panel

Then click Network and Internet

Then Network Sharing Center

Under Connections, click your internet connection.

In the pop up box click on "properties" and when the box pops up, say yes.

Then uncheck Internet Protocol Version 6 and click the okay box.

After I did that mine started working and has worked even after turning off itunes and getting back in.

I hope this works for you.

Jan 3, 2014 3:47 PM in response to masplin

I tried and it worked for me too. I spent so much time on this and it appears to be solved. After turned off and on itune, the connection stayed. If no posting from me then this solution works for me. Just wonder what side effects it might have by turning off IPV6.

Thank you very much Mg6035 for sharing.

Jan 4, 2014 2:13 AM in response to slh888

Reading around this it seems that turning it off via control panel only lasts until you reboot and then it gets turned back on. I found this from microsoft to permanenty turn it off

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929852

alos i found this form Apple to test if you have an IPV6 problem. I couldn't log onot t the ipv6.apple.com.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts3802

I'll try the suggestion via control panel and see if that works

Thanks

Mike

Apple TV falling off iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.