Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HELP Recovering TIME MACHINE

Hi,

My computer froze so I turned it off. It then wouldn't turn on. It just displayed the grey spinning wheel. I took it into Apple and they inspected it and said that I needed a new cable inside the machine.

They then put new software on the machine and said we would pull down my backups from Time machine on my harddrive.

When I went on the hardrive I couldn't use time machine as it would not pick up anyt backups. I then started a new user and went on migration assistant and it wouldn't find the backups. However, when the hardrive is plugged in I could view the backups but they are light purple and not grey.

I took the mac into apple and they manually

My main worry is that my mac holds loads of emails that are not on the server so they found these and put them into an IMPORT folder in the Inbox. I have then dragged these over to my mac.

However, I am missing pictures etc, and annoyingly my signatures. They have made these folders visible on the backup but when I go into them it says I do not have permission to view the folder.

Is there no way I can access these light purple back ups to just get back to where my laptop was on my last backup (23rd Dec?).

All I want to do is have my mac back to the way it was on the 23rd as I have a lot of work info etc that I need in the same place.

Any help would be incredibly appreciated!

Kind Regards,

Tom

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2009), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jan 3, 2014 9:07 AM

2 replies

HELP Recovering TIME MACHINE

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.