Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to go to http://192.168.1.1

Hi, I have been trying to set up a router on my mac book air. However, I am unable to go to http://192.168.1.1

Does anyone know how to solve the problem? ><

Thank you in advance!!!!!

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 3, 2014 10:00 AM

17 replies

Jan 3, 2014 11:11 PM in response to Linc Davis

Sorry for my English, but i will try to explain my situation in details.

So originally, i bought this TOTOLINK 150mbps wireless and portable AP to get wifi in my room without using a LAN.

And in the guidebook, it suggests three working modes-- AP, Router and Repeater. And now Im using the AP mode bc the router cannot be set up. Actually, I dont care which mode im using as long as i can set this wifi network with a password. But the thing is when Im using AP mode right now, even though the guidebook suggests that there should be a password in order to access Internet, the SSID doesnt need a password. And I dont know where to set a password for this SSID.

Thats why Im thinking if there is no original password needed for this device. So im trying to switch to the router mode because the instructions say if i want to change password for this device, i must connect to it in Router mode. But the problem is I am unable to go to 192.168.1.1

Jan 4, 2014 2:50 AM in response to quickinstallation

The reason you can't connect it the routers IP address is not 192.168.1.1. It is 172. 16. 16.1.

If that IS Your Router.

If this is a new router you just bought look on the side, back or bottom for a label that has the Wifi SSID, WiFi network name, and the password for that SSID then connect to that Wifi signal and use the routers default IP address, whatever that is.

The routers setup pages might also have a login password which will also be on that label.

Jan 4, 2014 3:24 AM in response to LowLuster

But the guidebook asks me to go to 192.168.1.1 in order to set up the router.

the SSID, network name and password are provided in the guidebook AND i am able to connect to the wifi, the PROBLEM is, it does not require a password (whereas the guidebook says its supposed to require for a password) which means the wifi is now shared to everyone.

Jan 4, 2014 3:42 AM in response to quickinstallation

Then you are NOT connecting to that routers WiFi signal.

On the router there is a button, usually very small and almost flush with the case, to Reset it back to Factory defaults. I suggest you find that button and hold it in for 5 to 10 seconds to reset it. Then look for the label on the outside for the Default SSID name and the password along with the password to make changes to the routers setup pages. It will be different from the Wifi login password.

If this is a ISP supplied Modem/Router box you might be better off contacting your ISP for instructions on how to properly connect to it to do the configuration changes you want to do.

Also you can't just setup a router in your room and expect it to connect to the internet. It have to also be connected to some type of LAN, Local Area Network, that has Internet Access.

Sure you can ADD a second router/switch/WiFi Hot Spot to an existing LAN to spread the WiFi signal out to more areas or allow you to hard wire more devices to it but that other device needs to be connected to the main system that has Internet access in some way. That could be as a WiFi repeater/extender or Hard Wired to the main LAN.

Jan 4, 2014 4:10 AM in response to LowLuster

Thank you for your kind advance.

I just went to system preference and check the IP address. It shows 172.16.17.99. I am able to go to this IP address but the I am unable to login. The guidebook only provides the user name and password for 192.168.1.1 and i tried those for 172.16.17.99 and they simoply do not work. So i just sent an email to the manufacturer and see if they can provide me the correct login and password.

Jan 4, 2014 6:48 AM in response to quickinstallation

I think that means you are connected to the router's unsecured Wi-Fi network, which is bridged into an Ethernet network. If that's correct, then you should change the settings in the Network preference pane temporarily to this:

• Configure IPv4: Manually
  • IPv4 Address: 192.168.1.2
  • Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
  • Router: 192.168.1.1

If you manage to configure the router, you should leave it in AP mode and change the settings back to what they are now.

Unable to go to http://192.168.1.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.