Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backup Vault confirmation

I have my Aperture library referencing an iphoto library on an external HD and a separate iphoto Library (using iphoto) on my local HD. I have received the error 'there are inconsistencies in the data base . . . please repair" multiple times and was always working on projects that had tight deadlines, so I didn't want to fix it then.

Alas, the time has come to finally repair the database, and I currently don't have a backup. My thinking is that I will make an Aperture Vault on my local HD, which will be backed up through Time Machine. This will allow me to have my External Aperture Library, a backup on my computer (Vault), and a backup on my Time Machine.

Here is my problem, I tried to add a vault, and I am able to Save-As, but then nothing happens. It's as fast as saving a Word Doc. I could be wrong, but isn't there supposed to be status bar of copying all my ~45k images?

All help is appreciated!

Thanks,

-Daniel

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Jan 3, 2014 11:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2014 11:42 AM

Creating a vault is a two step process.

The first step is to create the vault. No images are put into the vault then, only the vault structure is created. Once that is done you need to update the vault. This will actually add the libraries content to the vault.

Don;t know why Apple did this, it doesn;t make much sense not to populate the vault when it is created but that is how it is.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 3, 2014 11:42 AM in response to Community User

Creating a vault is a two step process.

The first step is to create the vault. No images are put into the vault then, only the vault structure is created. Once that is done you need to update the vault. This will actually add the libraries content to the vault.

Don;t know why Apple did this, it doesn;t make much sense not to populate the vault when it is created but that is how it is.

Jan 3, 2014 11:45 AM in response to Community User

Here is my problem, I tried to add a vault, and I am able to Save-As, but then nothing happens. It's as fast as saving a Word Doc. I could be wrong, but isn't there supposed to be status bar of copying all my ~45k images?

Craeting a vault alone does not create a backup - the first vault will be empty. To add the images to the vault you have to update it at least once.

Jan 3, 2014 11:58 AM in response to Community User

You are welcome.

The first update of your vault may take a very long time. Seeing that you have no backup at all, I'd recommend to make an emergency backup by simply copying your Aperture library to a drive with enough space. Test this copied library, if it is working and than repair your original library. Updating a vault may be problematic, if your library needs repairing.

Backup Vault confirmation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.