Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does the "last compatible version" method behave differently in iOS 5 vs 4.2.1?

I have a 4.2.1 device and have downloaded several apps with the "last compatible version" technique, without needing to pre-purchase them on a desktop PC or a newer iPod. Now I see lots of people with 1st generation iPads (ios 5.1.1) complaining that they can't download the Facebook app.

Thanks to Lllaass, I read this note from Apple which seems to have the solution: they have to buy it on a PC first. (The note specifies iOS 4.3.3 or higher) The big downside, then, is that for paid apps, you have to be sure that there is a compatible version!

With my 4.2.1 iPod, I would choose the app, enter my password, and then be told whether or not there was a compatible version. I haven't actually bought any paid apps with this technique, though.

So how's this for a summary:

iOS 3.1.3 devices cannot use "last compatible version" at all.

iOS 4.2.1 devices can download "last compatible version" apps directly.

iOS 5 users need to buy the apps on a PC or newer device before they can download them with "last compatible version."

Does this sound about right?

iPod touch

Posted on Jan 3, 2014 10:58 AM

There are no replies.

Does the "last compatible version" method behave differently in iOS 5 vs 4.2.1?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.