Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

At what percentage should I charge my Macbook

I just bought a 13 inch macbook pro retina and I want to make sure I take care of the battery the best possible way. I've read almost all of the other questions and none of them really answer my question. So far I've been using my macbook just sitting around the house because I'm on winter break from school. I've been fulling charging it to 100% then running it on it's own battery unitl around 40-50%. On the initial charge the macbook came on I let it run down to zero and go to sleep but I plugged it in right away. I don't really want to be charging it while using it because I'm just sitting around the house and I don't feel a need to have it charging.

My main question is... What is a good range of percentage to charge my macbook pro. Am I doing things right so far and getting into a good habit or should I be pluggin it in earlier or letting it run longer? Thank you so much

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 3, 2014 2:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2014 4:21 AM

Jackkcc, greetings: If you have AC available, there is no advantage of cycling your MBP that way all the time. All you are doing is adding unnecessary cycles to your MBP. A partial monthly discharge will be sufficient to keep the lithium ion battery happy. The battery is there for the situations where you do not have AC available.

Ciao.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 4, 2014 4:21 AM in response to Jackkcc

Jackkcc, greetings: If you have AC available, there is no advantage of cycling your MBP that way all the time. All you are doing is adding unnecessary cycles to your MBP. A partial monthly discharge will be sufficient to keep the lithium ion battery happy. The battery is there for the situations where you do not have AC available.

Ciao.

Dec 24, 2014 11:45 AM in response to iRapter

As OGELTHORPE says. Also never let your macbook battery drain below 20%, always plug into the AC power if the battery gets to 20%. Ideally you should let the battery drain to 40-60% once every month so that the electrons in the lithium battery move about; otherwise I keep mine plugged in as I use my MBP as a desktop replacement. If you do let it drain to say 50% each month that means the battery will go through 1 full cycle every 2 months or 6 per year. The fewer cycles the better, but sooner or later you will have to replace the battery, as it is only designed for 1000 cycles.

Jan 3, 2014 3:27 PM in response to iRapter

I keep mine attached to AC as much as possible. The OSX will NOT allow the MBP to be overcharged so that should not be a concern. Once a month, I will use it under battery power and let it reach the 40% level and then back to the AC.

Here are Apple battery article that you may find useful:

http://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro/batteries_power/

Ciao.

Jan 4, 2014 4:12 AM in response to iRapter

I use my MacBook every day for work and what i find is if you start with 100% battery then let it run down to 15% - 20% then let it charge while you finish your work then before you know it is back up to 100% then you can repeat the process again (run it down to about 15% - 20% then charge while finishing up).

At what percentage should I charge my Macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.