Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Late 2008 Macbook Pro wi-fi on freezes

I have Late 2008 Macbook pro and running 10.9.1. When I have wi-fi on the laptop is always freezing. It is not the first time, I had this problem also with mountain lion and managed to fix it creating a new location, but now with mavericks nothing is working.

Any fix for this problem?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 3, 2014 2:52 PM

3 replies

Jul 5, 2018 1:10 AM in response to Delgadoh

Many Thanks for the Reply,

I did create a new user, tried in safe mode, deleted the files in the cache folder and every time the same freezing problem. I also had issues during startup because it freezes a couple of times.I was wondering if it vould be a hardware problem, because I had already tried other methods as the NVRAM/PRAM reset. Unfortunetly the freezing happens over and over. Any other ways to be sure that it is a software problem and not hardware?

Jan 5, 2014 8:22 AM in response to Community User

Hey pja.antunes,

These are some steps I found for troubleshooting a software issue in Mac OS X, specifically if the issue occurs in various applications, or in Mac OS X itself:

1. The first and easiest test to try is to see if the issue affects a different user account on your Mac. Each user account has customized preferences and other items stored in its home directory. You'll first need to create an additional user if one does not already exist (follow steps a-h below). Then, log out of the current user and test the issue in the new user account.If this resolves the issue, there may be an issue with a file in the home directory of the original user account.
    1. From the Apple menu, choose System Preferences.
    2. From the View menu, choose Accounts (or choose Users if using Mac OS X v10.2 or earlier).
    3. Click "+" (or click New User if using Mac OS X v10.2 or earlier).
    4. Give the new user a name and short name.
    5. Mac OS X v10.3 or earlier only: Click the Password tab, and give the user a password.
    6. Mac OS X v10.3 or earlier only: Click Security.
    7. Select the checkbox for "Allow user to administer this computer". This makes the user account an administrator.
    8. Click OK, or quit System Preferences.
  2. Start up in Safe Mode (Mac OS X v10.2 or later only). If the issue does not occur, there may be an issue with a startup item, login item, or kext file. Refer to this article for troubleshooting suggestions.
  3. If the issue does not appear to be related to preferences, a login item, or a kext file, and still persists in Safe Mode, there may be an issue with a cache file in your home folder:
    1. From the Finder's Go menu, choose Home.
    2. Open the Library folder.
    3. Drag the Caches folder to the desktop.
    4. Attempt to reproduce the issue.
    5. If issue is resolved, drag the Caches folder to the Trash.
    6. If issue persists, from the Finder's Go menu, choose Go To Folder.
    7. Go to this folder: /Library
    8. Drag the Caches folder to the desktop.
    9. Attempt to reproduce the issue.
    10. If issue is resolved, drag the Caches folder to the Trash.
    11. If issue persists, go to step 4.
  4. If the issue persists, there may be an issue with a third-party font file in your home folder. See this article for information about using Font Book to enable or disable fonts in Mac OS X v10.3 or later.
  5. If the issue persists, perform other troubleshooting steps listed in this article.

via: Mac OS X: How to troubleshoot a software issue

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1199

All the best,

Delgadoh

Late 2008 Macbook Pro wi-fi on freezes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.