Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use a Windows internal HDD on my Mac Pro? (No Bootcamp)

Hey, I have a mac pro early 2008 I believe and it has a 500gb hdd with osx installed not sure which version. Anyways, I ordered a 1tb hdd and I was wondering if I could just install it in the primary hdd slot and install windows on it straight up with no bootcamp or anything. Would that work, just booting and installing a new hdd with windows on my mac pro? If so what else would I need to know to get the best performance, and if it is possible could I still switch to my second hdd that'srunning ios and is also installed and use it as a mac when I want? Please let me know, looking to install soon.

Mac Pro

Posted on Jan 3, 2014 3:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2014 11:09 PM

I don't think that will work. You will lack drivers for OSX and the boot record will be wrong.

7 replies

Jan 4, 2014 11:52 AM in response to ssls6

Thanks, but I heard if you try to install windows it will install and give u enough functionality to where you can go online and download the correct drivers for it to run properly. Not sure if that's true, but still looking for some solid answered before I actually try this thug myself. Thanks for the replying though, any other input would also be greatly appreciated.

Jan 4, 2014 12:16 PM in response to Rich Ay

Works fine. Just remove the other drives. Put it where you are going to keep Windows.

I used a 128GB SSD for Windows, another SSD for Lion.

With drivers I can read and write to HFS+ or NTFS drives for data used and shared by both.

Just format the drive from inside Windows DVD. There is no error and most drivers will be installed that you need. Even without Apple Boot Camp drivers which you can add later at any time just like always - download from within BCA or manually.

Jan 10, 2014 3:06 PM in response to Rich Ay

Hey I setup my HDD in my Mac Pro with windows and everything is pretty smooth except when it boots up sometimes it goes to windows then when I restart it it will go to Mac. I placed my Windows HDD in the 1st HDD boot slot and still when I reboot it goes to Mac. I tried changing the startup disk on mac but it does not recognize my Windows drive. I even downloaded Tuxera or whatever it's called to recognize NTFS drives for Mac but still no luck. Anybody know how I can get it to boot up with my Windows drive?

Jan 10, 2014 3:39 PM in response to Rich Ay

For that you need the Boot Camp control panel in Windows.

If you want NTFS (but not as startup disk option) then buy Paragon's - it has its own startup disk but often does not see the Windows hdd. I blame some of it on Apple's proprietary one-off EFI implementation which is different from the UEFI Intel, Microsfosft and others have used.

Use the Option and try BootChamp (never used it myself).

Of course if OS X isn't present it seems to immediately boot Windows for me.

you should be able to find Boot Camp 3.x or above to download and install inside Windows.

Jan 11, 2014 8:26 PM in response to The hatter

Thanks a lot hatter, you've been of great help. I still have a few minor troubles with tweaking everything to run real smooth, an it's hard to find anyone with a similar setup. I was going to ask you if there's any way I culd contact you via messages or a messenger or something. Let me know, it would be great to talk to you in real time. Thanks!

Can I use a Windows internal HDD on my Mac Pro? (No Bootcamp)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.