6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 3, 2014 7:01 PM by YeOldMacFan
Geraldine Dwyer1 Level 1 (60 points)

I have a new MacBook Air with Maverick.   The mail program does not seem to have a header with the print option etc. visible.  Where is it hidden?   Preferences, View etc., also not available.

Thanks

Geraldine

• Llessur999 Level 4 (1,195 points)

You don't see Mail > Preferences or File > Print in the Mail app's menu at the top of the screen? Please post a screenshot of the menus.

• YeOldMacFan Level 3 (730 points)

I've been testing Mavericks and occasionally the menu bar at the top of the screen is not displayed at startup.  You have to click inside the active app to make it appear.  I'm wondering if that's what's going on here.

I think it has happened with Moutain Lion too but I've been bouncing back and forth so often lately I can't be sure.  I can't try to reproduce for a screenshot as I've just overwritten my Mavericks install on my external drive.

Just reproduced the missing menu bar at startup while running Mountain Lion (10.8.5).  If you click on an app (Mail in my case) the menu bar will be displayed.  Probably not the issue here but thought I'd mention it.

missing_menu_bar_cropped.jpg

• Geraldine Dwyer1 Level 1 (60 points)

This is what I see when I open the mail program.

The main Mail top header is just not there, but neither is the date, battery life etc.  It looks as if the mail window  is filling the whole screen.

mail.jpg.

Geraldine

• Geraldine Dwyer1 Level 1 (60 points)

Just solved it - I think - not sure if the fix is permament, but it's working for now.

I clicked on the very upper left hand corner and the header menu appeared.

Thanks for the replies.

Geraldine

I think you may have Mail in "full screen" mode.  Select the View menu and at the bottom will be "Exit Full Screen" if you are.  If your menu bar is missing again then it will reappear if you move the mouse to the top of the window.