Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Smart error on mac os x snow leopard 1.6.8 when trying to update to os x mavericks PLEASE HELP I have tried everything.

My computer is messed up I have backed up everything too anything to help?😢

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING

Posted on Jan 3, 2014 7:49 PM

5 replies

Jan 3, 2014 8:46 PM in response to JoshTheBlock

Thanks for the screenshot. I have never seen any drive shown in red - I have a feeling that may be bad news (the hard drive may be failing). So, since you are running Snow Leopard, I'd suggest you first back up all your stuff, then get out your install DVD, boot from it while holding C key while restarting, and wipe the drive completely after repairing the drive using the disk utility on the install CD. If that works, then reinstall from scratch. If it doesn't work, your hard drive may need to be replaced.

Jan 3, 2014 9:58 PM in response to JoshTheBlock

A S.M.A.R.T. error on a HD means it's failing, before you do anything backup your computer and then take the machine into your local AppleStore or AASP and look into getting the internal HD replaced. If it is still covered by AppleCare this would be covered, however if not it will cost a bit to get the HD replaced. Please don't ask how much, call your the AppleStore and AASPs in your area and you can get some ball park quotes.

Smart error on mac os x snow leopard 1.6.8 when trying to update to os x mavericks PLEASE HELP I have tried everything.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.