Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you shut off the iPhone 4 without the sleep/wake button?

My sleep/wake button is stuck or broken. Can I shut off the iPhone 4 without the sleep/wake button so as to reboot the phone?

iPhone 4 (8GB), iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Jan 3, 2014 8:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2014 8:16 PM

From ->http://grownupgeek.com/how-to-turn-off-iphone-without-power-button

"How to turn off an iPhone with no power button or a broken power button (no jailbreak):

Enable Assistive Touch: Tap SETTINGS, General, Accessibility, AssistiveTouch (near the bottom) and tap AssistiveTouch to ON. You will now notice a small dark square with a circle in the middle (you can move this square anywhere). Tap the dark circle to open the assistiveTouch menu, then tap Device and tap and HOLD the Lock Screen icon. This will bring up the iPhone's Power-Off slider - no need for a power button any longer!"

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 3, 2014 8:16 PM in response to neutron14

From ->http://grownupgeek.com/how-to-turn-off-iphone-without-power-button

"How to turn off an iPhone with no power button or a broken power button (no jailbreak):

Enable Assistive Touch: Tap SETTINGS, General, Accessibility, AssistiveTouch (near the bottom) and tap AssistiveTouch to ON. You will now notice a small dark square with a circle in the middle (you can move this square anywhere). Tap the dark circle to open the assistiveTouch menu, then tap Device and tap and HOLD the Lock Screen icon. This will bring up the iPhone's Power-Off slider - no need for a power button any longer!"

Jan 29, 2014 7:12 PM in response to Chris CA

Thank you. I had the Assistive touch set to on for months now (since I upgraded my iPhone 5 to iOS 7) and I could lock my screen by tapping on the "lock screen", but I forgot how to shut it down/power off completely (by holding down on the "lock screen"). Or perhaps I was afraid to power down and then I would not be able to power it back up again. For those people who don't know, you power it up by plugging into to your recharger and in a it you are ready to log in. Also, if you not want the Assistive touch circle in your way on the screen, you can toggle it off by clicking on the "home button" 3 times and click again 3 times to display the circle. Using Assistive Touch, besides using it for other functions (rotate screen, volume up or down. Siri, etc), you can also take screen shots despite the sleep/wake button being inop.

It seems that many people have problems with the sleep/wake or power button on their phones.

So this is a great help for those who can't or don't want to replace their phone or repair or for those who need a temporary fix until they can get their device replaced. Thanks again Chris CA.

Apr 23, 2014 10:22 PM in response to neutron14

"Enable Assistive Touch: Tap SETTINGS, General, Accessibility, AssistiveTouch (near the bottom) and tap AssistiveTouch to ON. You will now notice a small dark square with a circle in the middle (you can move this square anywhere). Tap the dark circle to open the assistiveTouch menu, then tap Device and tap and HOLD the Lock Screen icon. This will bring up the iPhone's Power-Off slider - no need for a power button any longer! **Voted Best Method to turn off an iPhone with a broken power button"

and to restart just keep on charging your phone would start.

cheers guys have fun..

Can you shut off the iPhone 4 without the sleep/wake button?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.