Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Turn an electric guitar into a bass guitar with garage band?

I'm a teenage DAW (is that the right term? A non-commercial person who uses software instead of hardware to record and mix?) and I am currently in the process of making my own cover for a song and writing my own songs. My questions are about an electric guitar (Ibanez Artcore AF75TDG) and amp (Roland Cube 30x). I am using a 17 inch MacBook pro. I also am using a USB M-audio MobilePre audio interface for my recording. I plug my acoustic guitar directly into the audio interface (I'm a bad boy... I need a DI box) and I have an OK mic for the amp I'm using (I would use one of the really BOSS condenser mics my dad bought, but I dont have mic cables in the house). I also have an M-audio "Key Studio" MIDI controller at my disposal. My questions are about the use of GarageBand:

1) How (hypothetically) do I plug my electric guitar into my MacBook Pro to take advantage of all the built-in amps in the software? Do I just create the track as an "Electric Guitar" track and plug into the audio interface normally?

2) I can do a bass line with my MIDI controller, but I want to try making my electric guitar sound like a bass guitar. Is there some way to do that? Like run the guitar through a software bass amp in GarageBand?

Please answer any way you like. If there is anything you think I need, please tell me. I can borrow equipment from my church (such as mic cables or SM57 mics, our DI boxes are pretty much shot now, but are still useable) if need be.

Thanks all.

GarageBand (Mac) '11, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jan 3, 2014 10:13 PM

There are no replies.

Turn an electric guitar into a bass guitar with garage band?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.