Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule Hard Disk Upgrade - how can I move old backup to new HD

Yesterday I bought a new 3TB hard disk to replace the old, internal time capsule 1TB hard disk. Then I placed the old one in a 3.5" USB case and tried to move the TM back-up from the old HD (now usb connected to the mac) to the new (now)-internal HD of the Time Capsule (connected with ethernet to the mac).

I'm using mavericks, and I followed this guide, but something went wrong and the migration stopped during the night, forcing me today to start a new backup from zero.

I deeply googled, looking for a guide that could explain how to complete the upgrade without a glitch, but there are infinite number of guide on how to change hard disk, while a totality of zero guides on how to complete the migration process after upgrading the internal HD.

Has someone succeeded in doing all the process?

System Information:

• • OSX Version - 10.9.1

• • Type of Mac - MacMini mid-2011

• • What's being backed-up - 501,74 GB

• • Backup Location - Time Capsule - WiFi (usually - but Ethernet during migration process) - 2nd generation, Model A1302 1TB (now 3TB).

P.S. Do you have any suggestion for "Impossible to convert __. Installa newer version of iWork." It happens all the time i try to move Backups.backupdb from a USB HD to a new one (yes, I remove the check mark from "Ignore ownership on this volume").

Time Capsule 802.11n (3rd Gen), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 4, 2014 8:39 AM

1 reply

Jan 4, 2014 11:57 AM in response to pbjack

I don't see anything you have done wrong.

The fact that it started to copy the file and you left it running is fine.

Where things go wrong from there is anyones guess.. did the computer just decide to go to sleep?? Have you turned off sleep and any auto shut down. That can affect copying of large files.

Did you verify the sparsebundle.. any error or corruption in the old sparsebundle could prevent it copying.

See A5 http://pondini.org/TM/Troubleshooting.html

It could be later firmware which IMHO is just not stable.. I would run no later than 7.6.1 in an old TC.

And of course Mavericks.. it uses an major change of networking protocol.. and so it could just decide in the middle of the night that the TC is no longer there.

forcing me today to start a new backup from zero.

Can I just say.. this is a better idea anyway.

Put the old disk in a draw.. and simply keep it for 6months and if you never need it by then .. you can wipe it and use it for something else. A clean fresh TM backup is far more likely to work properly in case you need to do a recovery especially if you upgrade installed Mavericks.

Time Capsule Hard Disk Upgrade - how can I move old backup to new HD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.