Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New external hd - erased but shows up as a used volume?

Hi everyone! New to this forum. I just got my self two Lacie 1TB external hard drives to backup my mac book air. After formatting them one of them doesnt show right as a drive and hasn't alle the options a the first. Here's what I did:

I ereased and formatted the first drive using mac OS extended in Disk Ulitity. Went smooth. The new volume named BACKUP 1 show up as a volume under the Lacie disk drive. All options are there (erase/partition/RAID/Restore). I also zeroed out the entire drive which took 2h.

User uploaded file

Next, I formatted the second drive. This time I forgot to zero out the drive in security options, so I did the operation again. I also encrypted the second drive. But after the operation it looks like this:

User uploaded file

The drive has turned into a volume with another volume inside it! And 0 bytes available. And under Partition I can only create 2 partitions?:

User uploaded file

when I click on the volume inside the volume it shows that there is a whole lot of files ande folders on it and that appr. 1 GB is used up already:

User uploaded file

The drive seems to be totally useful, shows up on desktop and so on. But, I may want to use 3 partitions on this one. One for Time machine, one for a clone and one for archiving. Now it seems that isn't possible with this new formatted second drive.

So the question is - can I format the drive back so that it shows as a drive with volumes on it and all the options in Disk Utility? Where there should be a drive icon, and there's now a volume icon, there's no option for erasing the drive. Or what do I do? Any opinions are mutch appreciated!

ES

MacBook Air (11-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Jan 4, 2014 9:09 AM

3 replies

Jan 5, 2014 12:28 PM in response to Eric Root

Well, it shows only 'First aid' and 'Partition'.

But since yesterday I partitioned the first drive (BACKUP 1) and now that one also shows up as a volume (Logical volume group) with 3 subvolumes. So it seems now like it's all a normality, this "issue". And that the MBs of used space is used up by the partition. I now have 3 partitions on one disk and 1 partition on the other. All the volumes use up 300 - 700 MB each. Guess that's just how things work.

Thanks for the reply. I just go with it. Seems like there won't be any problem...

New external hd - erased but shows up as a used volume?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.